C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-01-29 04:35:23

capricous

Hawse pipe

I have a mark 3 in which I wish had an anchor locker.
Last fathers day my daughter decided to give me the gift of her presence on the boat.
About 50 yards off the mooring the A 4 died (fuel pump) and I rapidly drifted towards some expensive boats. I rushed below to grab the anchor,deployed it and was inches from going broke. I got snarled in his mooring chain but was resqued by a launch driver.
I have a clip like attachment on the bow pulpit which I now use,but the anchor rode is an issue.
Black arts was helpful and I found some hardware but not all for a hawse pipe. I sometimes have water over the bow.
Thanks in advance
Dana

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#2 2012-01-29 06:24:38

davidww1

Re: Hawse pipe

Are you suggesting that your daughter's presence was the prime mover in this near-disaster? I know the feeling. Wonderful to have her on board, can't stop looking over my shoulder for the oncoming train.

I don't know how handy you are, but a friend did manage to build a locker for his Mk III. He jig-sawed out a section of the bow almost exactly in the pattern of the locker in later boats and filled the cut edges with polyester resin and cabosil (polyester instead of epoxy so he could finish the edges with gelcoat). He then built the locker underneath from glassed-over plywood. The ledges on which the hatch rests are also glassed ply.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2012-01-30 01:11:29

clanning

To anyone looking at mods like this -- or bulkhead replacement -- liberally coating plywood with epoxy (especially the edges) will extend its life, but another approach is to use G10 board.  Its an infused fibreglass epoxy board, strong and dense.  We get it in Ottawa from NSC member Will Moizer.  http://www.flat4m.com/  He has "seconds" (as the 1st rate stuff is generally aviation grade) that I have used quite successfully in projects.  (You can tap the 3mm thick board with M10 threads and the stuff doesn't pull out.)
Chuck Lanning
NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#4 2012-01-31 03:16:40

capricous

Thank you David and Chuck
I'm thinking of just a hawse pipe http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10391|32295|322380&id=33090
this one has a cover on it to deep water intrusion down to a dull roar
If I could buy a triangle shape hatch close to our boat shape ,installing a locker would look more proffesional  and would go that route. Any thoughts on the hawse pipe idea?

Last edited by (2012-01-31 03:18:01)

#5 2012-01-31 05:44:52

davidww1

Re: the locker lid - You don't need to buy a pre-made lid - the triangle you cut out of the deck becomes the lid. If you cut slowly and carefully with a high-quality jigsaw (Makita or Bosch), the most material you will remove (the "kerf") will be around 3/32", which is a gap you'll need for the hatch to open smoothly anyway. True, you'll have to drill a hole to start the saw, but it you do it where one of the hinges will be placed, you won't see it.

When I saw this job in progress, I had my doubts, but by using a matching gelcoat and working carefully, the fellow did a job that you had to look at twice to tell it wasn't a factory anchor locker.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer