C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-10-06 00:53:42

Spreaders

The spreader arrangement on my Mk III's mast is unusual to me in that the tubular spreaders have what appears to be heater-hose (about 1/4-inch wall thickness) wrapped around the inboard end. That, in turn,sockets into the spreader base. Is this normal? Should I simply replace the hose, which is badly worn, or is it practicable to insert aluminum tubing of an appropriate size into the base and then insert the spreader into that tubing? Or would that rob the setup of some flexibility it might need?
Ken Pole, Santiva, Ottawa

#2 2004-10-06 13:45:16

Re: Spreaders

I had a similar arrangement on a C&C 25 Mk 1.  It seemed to work OK.  I'd recommend replacing the "hose" pieces.

#3 2004-10-07 02:46:57

davidww1

I have this arrangement on my boat (a Mk IV). I think you're right about the flexibility part, so I'd just replace the hose if I were you.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2004-10-10 01:51:53

tom parks

Same on my MII.  Seems that the rubber used for reason.
Tom Parks
Chefanti, Toronto

#5 2005-01-30 06:49:21

Same here - 27 Mk III '76 hull #650.
Rubber hose pieces have been tried and true for years . . .
Richard

#6 2005-02-24 02:23:59

The rubber hose was used for 2 reasons (but I could be wrong).  Firstly to dampen any shock load between the spreader and the attachment (the connection was designed to remain relatively flexible) and secondly, to insulate the dissimilar metals from the potential galvanic reaction(although only a slight concern in fresh water)

Cassia mkIV

#7 2005-02-24 03:09:29

davidww1

The rubber hose lies between the length of the spreader and its bracket, but the inboard end of the spreader still bears against the inside of the bracket. Moreover, the spreaders are retained by a stainless machine screw that makes contact with the bracket and the spreader, so there's definitely a connection. I don't think, however, that a galvanic couple is too serious that high above the deck; acid rain would be more of a worry than salt water.

On another note, I think it improbable that would have occurred to C&C's designers. Most of them were fresh-water sailors and they didn't have the personal experience of warm salt water that makes people obsessive about corrosion. For what it's worth, I once heard an electrical engineer criticize the standard centreboard setup, saying, "if they'd designed a battery any better than that, they'd all be working for Energizer today."

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer