C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-09-04 04:55:51

MKIII bulkhead rot at chainplate

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a MKIII but noticed the bulkhead (double berth against head) has rotted where the chainplate connects. Leaking from above. Wood is soft, poke your finger through condition just where the chainplate connects. What is the fix? Will the entire bulkhead require replacement or can the section be cut out and a new piece epoxied in? Can I add a stainless plate to reinforce the section and grab wood farther away from the rot? Sale is on hold until I get a handle on what this will cost. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

- Chris

Chris Besignano
Brockville, ON

#2 2014-09-04 21:48:04

bosco

Re: MKIII bulkhead rot at chainplate

Hi Chris,
With this serious fault, I would certainly involve a competent surveyor before going any further toward a purchase.( it sounds like you haven't done so.)
   IMHO , this is not a repair to be tackled by a " home handy-man".
Clare Jordan Aragorn

Clare Jordan,
Stormont Yacht Club,
Long Sault

#3 2014-09-04 23:21:25

Surveyor was out yesterday afternoon. His recommendation is to clean out rot (top 3 thru bolts, approx 1.5" wide), embed with West System epoxy, and install 2 aluminum plates to on either side of chain plates, bolted thru the "virgin" wood to spread the load. Seems sounds to me, I believe this is done on J24's to combat a similar issue. The chainplate is being removed today and I will inspect it prior to repair. I am prepared to walk away if not satisfied with the fix. Is this leak a common issue on C&C 27 and can it be stopped with new bedding compound or other sealant?

Chris Besignano
Brockville, ON

#4 2014-09-05 01:35:43

davidww1

Yes the leak is common and yes it can be fixed by removing the cover plate on deck, cleaning out the existing bedding compound and replacing it. If the bedding is original, it's butyl tape, which many people prefer as it doesn't harden.

The area should be monitored, though, as the loads from the mast tend to move the chainplates constantly.

The deck surrounding the chainplates on this boat should be checked carefully for water entry and delamination as the water that rotted the bulkhead could easily have also entered the balsa of the deck laminate. It's messy but not a huge job to pull all the chainplates, clean the area, then scoop out the balsa at the edges of the chainplate holes and replace that balsa with thickened epoxy.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2014-09-06 04:15:05

whippet

Hi

Suspect your repair is not just limited to the bulkhead.   The deck must need some rebuild as well since that is source of water.   Besides some advice under threads "chainplates"  and "chain plate" on this site, i found the following link useful (despite name) since has photos

http://www.threefools.org/velocity/projects/RebedChainplates/chainplates.html
Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#6 2014-09-07 23:25:05

wrapper

Check out Cygnus.  It is for sale.  Recored deck !

In Montreal.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518
[See the previous index page for the ad for this boat: CYGNUS - 1975 C&C 27 MK III for sale. - Admin]

Last edited by (2014-09-08 07:06:52)

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#7 2014-09-25 23:05:14

Kilroy

Hi Chris. I have just listed my C&C 27 on the forum. It has been recorded and is dry. No leaks and in good condition.
Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Board footer