C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-04 02:53:25

Hugh Morrin

Trickle Charging Batteries on the Boat over the Winter

I know conventional wisdom says that you should remove your batteries over the winter and trickle charge them occasionally. But our boat came with a solar panel that trickle charges both batteries through an isolator. I am wondering if there is any reason to remove them, or would it be OK to leave them on the boat with the solar charger connected. Any thoughts?Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
MK III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2004-11-04 03:14:43

davidww1

Re: Trickle Charging Batteries on the Boat over the Winter

I cannot imagine what good a solar panel is going to do once it's got a foot or more of snow on it.

Personally, I hate removing my batteries and lugging them home. However, once, just once, a fellow I knew actually did have a battery die, freeze and crack. He was extremely unhappy about the resulting mess and he had a hard time finding someone to take the cracked case off his hands. I don't like it, but I take my batteries home.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2004-11-04 05:33:59)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2004-11-04 06:47:17

Pls see the post re batteries about 15 down the list.  I'm the guy that leaves them "in".  You're certainly right about the freezing thing---not good.
Reminds me of the "winterizing ritual" on my Fisher 30' some years back---in Chicago.  We used 86 proof Popov in the potable water system rather than that goofy RV antifreeze stuff.
"long about mid-february I started feeling lonely about my boat---so went down to the barn and sat in the cockpit a spell---wishing it were April.  Figured I might as well start puting my "to do" list together.  While inspecting the V-berth I discovered that in my enthusiasm to freeze proof the water system, I overlooked the need to empty the 50 gal flex tank that was "more than full" with sewage.  Freezing is not a good thing.
Dave--Ft myers, Fl

#4 2004-11-04 09:43:15

I have always left my batteries in the boat over the winter and never had a problem (located in Toronto).  I start with a full charge and charge them again a couple of times over the winter.  One thing to absolutely avoid: adding water to top up the battery fluid near haul-out.  The water needs to mix thoroughly with the acid or it will freeze.  This means there should be some agitation (i.e., sailing) and some good charging after any water is added.  Also, be careful that there is no electrical drain that could discharge the batteries over a period of months.  When in doubt, disconnect them.  A discharged battery can easily freeze.  It's still a lot easier than carrying them home.  All batteries need to be contained in proper battery boxes.  One benefit is that if a battery should even leak, the "mess" will be contained.

Board footer