C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-04 03:15:19

Hugh Morrin

Servicing Seacocks

Our MK III has the tapered-plug type bronze Seacox fittings. A couple of ours were stuck in the open position when we bought the boat, and we decided to take them apart to service them. The maintenance instructions suggest doing this annually at haul-out, but I suspect this was the first time ours had been apart in a long time! They all showed varying levels of corrosion, likely from when the boat spent a couple of years in salt water in the 80's. The maintenance instructions suggest using emery cloth and/or valve grinding compound, but the valve grinding compound I got seems pretty coarse, and I'm wondering if I might be doing more damage than good. Does anybody have experience servicing these? Should I worry about trying to smooth the plugs, or just lubricate them and re-assemble them? Also, any suggestions for a lubricant? Manual says use a waterproof grease, but others have suggested Vasoline or vegetable oil. And for next year, need we bother servicing these if they're operating smoothly?Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
MK III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club

Last edited by (2007-11-24 00:44:56)

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2004-11-04 07:08:14

davidww1

Re: Servicing Seacocks

My seacocks were in the condition you describe, neglected and corroded. I took off the worst of the corrosion on the barrels with progressively finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper. I got the worst off the bodies with w/d sandpaper, then coated the barrels with lapping compound (which was quite fine) and rotated the barrels for a while.

I cannot support the recommendations for a lubricant. I suspect that vegetable oil would quickly wash out and people would talk if they saw you taking a big jar of Vaseline down to the boat. I put mine back together with plain black axle grease.  Since then I have discovered gearcase grease, which is made for outboard lower units, is very resistant to washing out in the presence of water and, unlike a lot of specialty stuff, easy to find (anyone who stocks outboard motor stuff) and not expensive. I use it in the grease cups on my engine and on my rudder stock and next time I do the seacocks, I'll use it there.

I'm not exactly the poster boy for seacock maintenance. I did mine properly about four years ago and I work them back and forth once or twice a season. They seem fine but I'm starting to feel guilty about them.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2007-11-24 00:45:16)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer