C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-12-21 01:58:17

bosco

Sail shape and Draft position

It has been thrilling to watch the Volvo Ocean racing unfolding day by day --- (Download the Volvo Ocean Race App. if you'd like to stay updated with positions, neat videos etc. etc.).   

One thing I have observed is that these boats all seem to carry the deepest part of their sails' drafts ( both main and genoas ) WELL  forward of the 50% of chord length point --Much further forward than is my practice. Is it their sails' construction/material --Their speed--or some other factor that causes them to do this -- apparently to advantage ??

Any ideas/comments?
Clare Jordan.   Aragorn

Clare Jordan,
Stormont Yacht Club,
Long Sault

#2 2014-12-22 03:09:33

davidww1

Re: Sail shape and Draft position

Until I was 16, I belonged to a club for kids like me and for adults who build flying model gliders and powered planes. We kids built gliders with a relatively thin wing section of low aspect ratio with the greatest depth of camber at about 45% of the chord (translation: short, wide wings whose thickest part was about 45% aft). Our gliders were relatively heavy and robust, and not terribly aerodynamic.

We had a few hotshots in the club who built FAI competition gliders - superlight, highly optimized craft that flew so efficiently that they had timed de-powering devices to prevent them from disappearing over the horizon. Their wings were very high aspect ratio, usually negative camber on the underside, with the maximum upper camber a bit farther forward than the "recreational" craft we kids flew.

I see our 27's (and most contemporary racer/cruisers) as roughly paralleling the recreational gliders: a moderate-drag, moderate-lift wing supporting a fuselage that is relatively high-drag (not easily driven), whereas the competition gliders parallel the Volvo boats and others in the rocket-ship class: higher-drag but much higher-lift sails (which is what I think you get draft-forward) on a very low-drag hull.

The Volvo boats sail very much closer to the speed of the wind, but I don't know enough aerodynamics to conjecture about the impact on desired sail shape.

And speaking of conjecture, this is all conjecture (a nice word for guessing) based on long-ago observation, so if anyone has any better info, I like Clare would be glad to hear it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer