C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2015-04-18 04:13:40

bjarki

Mast Step Removal

Does anyone have experience removing and resealing the mast step plate on a Mark 3? I found some water dripping through this spring and want to remove the mast step mounting plate. There are 4 bolts. The 2 aft bolts are very accessible, but the forward bolts (countersunk) seem to go into an inaccessible area in the boat. There is a possibility they attach to captured nuts, but I do not really want to chance it.

Any suggestion from someone who has had to do this before?

Bjarki Hallgrimsson
SKAL CC M3

#2 2015-04-18 06:23:37

bosco

Re: Mast Step Removal

Hi Bjarki,
  I have had no experience removing the mast step, but I have experienced a ' drip' in this area . It turned out to be leakage , not through the mast step, but rather, water was passing through the aperture just a few inches aft of the mast step where the wiring for the mast systems passes though the deck. In my case , the water followed the wiring down and forward a few inches and dripped out of the cover plate which covers the aft rear of the mast inside the cabin.
Could this be your source too ?

Clare Jordan. Aragorn

Clare Jordan,
Stormont Yacht Club,
Long Sault

#3 2015-04-19 00:01:02

davidww1

I removed my mast step (to drill a mounting hole in the side) some years ago so my memory is hazy. I think the "inaccessible" bolts are in fact very long wood screws that extend into the bulkhead below. I didn't find any indication that there was water entry.

I second what Clare has said about the wiring holes. The bedding compound on the deck gland breaks down every few years, as does the wire-to-gasket seal in the gland.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2015-04-20 12:59:56

bjarki

That is very good advice and it makes sense. I will try to investigate that further with a hose. Incidentally it has been raining today and no new water, kind of strange so perhaps it was really a winter accumulation.

Board footer