C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2015-12-23 04:19:53

PeterC

Double tackle mainsheet system

I see in "black arts" that Serendipity was planning to use a trackless "double tackle " mainsheet system. I am thinking about this for by mark2. How did it work out? Any suggestions?

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#2 2016-01-28 01:35:08

davidww1

Re: Double tackle mainsheet system

I haven't answered this because my experience of this setup is old and I didn't want to say something I mis-remembered; recently I used this system, which has refreshed my memory and added a couple of new dislikes, so here goes...

Double-tackle systems should work reasonably well on a broad reach to a run, but one of the goals for most owners is to simplify the rig, so there's no vang - a poor omission in my view. The main turns into a shapeless rag. Once you come up to closehauled, the appropriate mix of boom position athwartships and leach tension requires a degree of fiddling that most people can't achieve with ease - or want to bother with, so the boat doesn't go to weather as a C&C27 should. You might as well be sailing a Catalina. You also end up with a lot of line in the cockpit, which defeats one of the objects, which is keeping the cockpit clear.

If you want to clear the cockpit at the dock, put a ring on your traveller and a snapshackle on the lower mainsheet block then shift the block out to the rail when you want more space. The double tackle on the coachroof is a clumsy compromise.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer