C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-06-07 10:29:53

SAILAVIE

MK V mast base wiring, where does it end up ?

Hi C&C lovers

Bought this 1988 MK V, need to replace the wind vane and its wire but cannot figure where it goes once inside the roof...

I planned cutting a visit window in the toilet roof where it seems to come in, but it seems full solid, not empty at all...

Need guidance here...

Thanks
Marc Dubois
C&C 27 MK V 1987
Montreal / Grand Lac Saint-François", Thetford Mines, Quebec
www.SAILAVIE.CA

Marc Dubois (SV Geronimo)
C&C 27 MK V 1988 hull 152
Oka, Quebec
Www.YachtingZone.ca

#2 2016-06-08 00:19:18

Tonyj

Re: MK V mast base wiring, where does it end up ?

Hi Marc;
If you haven't bought the wind indicator yet, you may want to consider getting a Tacktick Model T037 wireless system. Since its wireless, no wire in the mast, no holes (and leaks?) through the cabintop, no routing the wire through the cabin, etc. You only need to supply power to the display.
The T037 sells for $687 US.  They have been purchased by Raytheon now, the Raythenon version, Model T101, sells for $1376 US. The Raytheon version has a few more bells and whistles, but the extra cost is hard for me to justify.
I have had the Tacktick version for about five yesrs and am very happy with it.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
MkV #581 FLYING CIRCUS
Sivergate YC San Diego

#3 2016-06-08 01:15:53

davidww1

One thing to consider about Tacktick is the issue of batteries. The batteries in my first Tacktick Racemaster were not readily replaceable; it could be done if you were skilled at opening plastic cases and then resealing them, but I don't have those skills. Several people in England and North America advertised that they could do it for you, but they seemed to go in and out of business regularly (or they just didn't answer email).

Fortunately, when my first Racemaster died, the distributor agreed this was unreasonable and replaced the unit at about 2/3 of retail - so about $350.

The current FAQ from Raymarine says the batteries will last the life of the instrument in which it's installed. That strikes me as a bit vague. The Tacktick instruments are a great concept, but I wonder about the execution. I'd do some research about battery longevity and replaceability in the current generation of equipment before jumping on board.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2016-06-08 01:27:41

SAILAVIE

Thanks for the answer, I will certainly look at the wireless thing.

However my question on the actual wire routing remains since I did not find wireless VHF antenna yet and I also need to replace the old weak one. :-)
Marc Dubois
C&C 27 MK V 1987
www.SAILAVIE.CA

Oka, Quebec
Www.YachtingZone.ca

#5 2016-06-08 03:30:49

Steve Reid

When the Mark V's were built the deck and all of the hardware and fittings along with the wiring, including the wires going to the mast, were installed prior to mating the Deck to the Headliner. When to two were mated they used a putty substance (referred to as Cow Pies) to adhere the liner to the deck. When this material mushed out as the two pieces joined together it invariably trapped most of the wires making it impossible to pull the wires out or fish in new ones.
Any wires that were to be run to the mast come in on the Port side at 90 degrees to the middle of the mast step and run out to where the cabin top angles down to the side of the cabin trunk.
In your case your best alternative is to rout new wires and hide them as best as you can along the top forward side of the Cabin/Head Bulkhead.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working MkV #75

#6 2016-06-08 07:29:48

SAILAVIE

Thanks Steeve, this is not the answer I was hoping for but at least now I know what to do and I will stop searching.

This being said, I will use the existing holes and make them all the way thru and install new wires properly.

Thanks a lot.

Marc
Marc Dubois
C&C 27 MK V 1987
www.SAILAVIE.CA

Oka, Quebec
Www.YachtingZone.ca

#7 2016-08-07 00:53:16

Katara

Why not fallow the wire from the instrument ? I highly doubt C&C wired a wind vane pre deck
install .
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#8 2016-08-13 02:46:09

stargazer

on my mkV the wiring for my wind vane passes through a hole drilled just ahead of the mast step, runs down the bulkhead into the hanging locker to the bottom corner then through the bulkhead into the stowage area under the bench along there and through to the engine compartment and then up under the cockpit floor and up through to  the pedestal ...hope this helps
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Board footer