C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-08-11 23:48:48

mikeware

fuel pump atomic 4

I have a 71 C&C27 mark 1 which had on it an Airtex inline electric fuel pump. It failed and I replaced with an Airtex E8251. Old number E1039 doesn't seem to exist or cross reference. It flows when line to atmosphere but doesn't seem to keep filter sight glass full when connected to carburetor. In reading this may not have been the proper number for a carbureted application. I am baffled by hundreds if different model numbers for each manufacturers pump. Can someone tell me a pump brand and number they have used successfully between gas tank and carburetor that hopefully is available quickly in Toronto area.
Thanks

Mike Ware
C&C 27 Mark 1 1971 Parsifal
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

#2 2016-08-12 04:26:38

davidww1

Re: fuel pump atomic 4

If I were you, I'd ring Moyer Marine and ask them; they know A4's like no one else on earth. You'll get the right part, as quickly as a delivery service can send it.

BTW, if you have a sight glass on your filter, replace it. Even a small fire (something you could put out with a hand extinguisher) could rupture the bowl and turn a nasty problem into an inferno. The US Coast Guard doesn't permit them, with good reason. Don't know how our CG feels, but I'd go with the US rules here and get a metal sediment bowl.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2016-08-12 06:17:00

mikeware

Thanks for the input. I bought the filter from a chandlery and it was supposed to be the best solution for gas filtration. I would hate to loose the visual but I see the problem. The engine problem is solved in that there was a very tiny air leak before I applied Teflon tape to the inlet pump connection and I guess it was sucking air instead of gas from the tank. So for anyone interested, Amazon sells the Airtex E8251 a very cheap solution compared to Moyer offerings. I am ordering a 2nd so I won't ever have to navigate Bronte harbor in a howling wind and 1 meter waves with reefed jib alone again.
Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

#4 2016-08-12 06:31:59

davidww1

Check with a mechanic on this, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use Teflon tape around fuel, gas or diesel. The fuel breaks down the Teflon and you end up with a sticky mess that blocks your carb (or worse, your fuel injection system).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2016-08-12 07:57:49

mikeware

Rats! You are totally correct that white Teflon tape is no no with gasoline. Get that stuff dissolving and going into pumps and carbs could be disaster. Googling comes up with other stuff and perhaps YELLOW Teflon tape (but I suspect that is Natural Gas tape not gasoline) SO back to the boat with new tube of guck in hand to redo all my connections. Thanks for the warning!
Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

#6 2016-08-12 08:41:44

davidww1

Are you sure that any goo is required? Most gasoline fittings are designed to work without sealants.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2016-08-12 12:52:45

mikeware

The plastic hose connector did seem to have an NPT thread that threaded into the pump but I was afraid I would break it if tightened further. A little Teflon tape allowed me to completely stop the one drip and presumably stop any sucking in of air. There is a tooth paste type stuff approved that I will just try smearing a bit on to the threads to make sure.
Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

#8 2016-08-13 00:16:14

Katara

http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=FPMP&keywords=all&template=Templates/B000_storebuilder.html

A need for gunk and tape ? you sure the housing isn't cracked ? look into a new fuel filter system .

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Board footer