C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2017-02-12 07:07:16

Rene

wiring harness for 79 mk III

I am looking at changing the wiring harness on my 79 mk III.  Not sure where to look for parts for this boat.
Can anyone help with a supplier?
René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

#2 2017-02-13 02:01:59

davidww1

Re: wiring harness for 79 mk III

First, why? Is the existing wiring damaged by mishandling? Corroded? Or is the issue just that a PO has added a lot of substandard wire and daisy-chained low-quality wire onto existing circuits? This is a lot of work, so I wouldn't embark on it without good reasons. Obviously, if the old wire is damaged, it has to go, but if it's just a matter of cleaning up cruddy additions, you might be happier limiting the scope of your ambitions to fitting a sub-panel and running good-quality wire in a workman-like way.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "wiring harness"? If you mean literally the wire that runs through the boat and its connections, all you need to do is find a store that sells Ancor wire (each strand is tinned, so it won't corrode). If you don't like the expense of Ancor, use automotive wire, which you can buy at any automotive supplier. (In truth, this is probably adequate for a boat that will spend its life in fresh water.)

Think carefully about how you will run the wire before you start. On my boat, a lot of the wiring was laminated into the underside of the deck before the inner overhead skin was attached. There is no way to feed wire between the two unless you'd like to completely disassemble the boat, so you have to find other routes that are high and dry.

If your ambitions are greater (new fixtures, new switch panel & breakers), that's a whole new topic. You'll probably learn a lot by reading some of the advice on the West Marine web site (and given where you are, their Buffalo store is probably your supplier of choice, too).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2017-02-13 03:19:43

Rene

I should have more specific.
I am talking about the wiring harness from the ignition to the fuse panel.
and the reason is that I had a broken exhaust pipe just under the cockpit and melted the wires together.  I just noticed that the whole thing is a harness and ends with a connecting part just before the gauges in the cockpit.
René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

#4 2017-02-13 03:48:11

davidww1

Check through the Moyer Marine catalogue. I didn't see a harness specifically listed, but if they don't have it, doubtless they will make one up for you. Their prices are quite reasonable.

http://www.moyermarine.com/index.htm

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2017-02-13 22:10:47

Katara

Rene,
I have an ignition panel and a harness , you're welcome to it . i think you are 6 docks away from me .
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#6 2017-02-13 23:38:38

Rene

That would be great.
How do we proceed?
Am i able to share my cell phone number with you on this forum?
905 732 8324

Cheers
René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

[Soliciting of private responses is permitted for -- and only for -- the purpose of exchanging things (buying, selling, giving). So this phone number is fine. If you don't know why we have this rule, please read this explanation. - Admin]

Last edited by (2017-02-15 00:34:22)

René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

#7 2017-02-14 00:17:40

Katara

i can leave it at the club for you to pick up  ?
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#8 2017-02-14 00:22:01

Rene

Great, I will come by the club on Friday.

Thanks

René
René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

René Lavoie
C&C 27 1979 MK III
Welland, Ontario

Board footer