C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2017-07-26 10:36:14

Van_Isle

Ventilation - Cabin and in General

For anyone out there who has attempted to improve ventilation in the cabin (and otherwise) of their 27 ... what have you done and how successful do you feel your efforts were?

I'm speaking in terms of a Mark III here ... I'm not sure if the factory setup for prior versions differed at all. Also I'm interested in solutions that improve airflow while the boat is alongside, unattended, as well as when it's in use.

Have you:

1. Replaced the stock Vetus ventilator forward of the mast with a powered ventilator? (like a Nicro Day & Night solar)

2. Left the Vetus in place and added a powered ventilator elsewhere? ... and if so where?

3. Added dorade vents?

4. Replaced the fixed ports with opening ports?

5. Added ventilation grills to the various storage compartments under the settees and V-berth? (to help ventilate the bilge to reduce potential for blister formation)

6. Other ideas?

My initial thought was to replace the Vetus with a solar vent. I was thinking however that another potential location would be just forward of the companionway sprayhood. That would be close to the highest point of the cabin and, if set to exhaust, would exhaust hot air and promote drawing outside air in from the existing vent forward.  I don't see any benefit to adding a vent in the forward hatch ... besides being, IMHO, but-ugly, I think it would just short-circuit air movement from the existing vent. The only thing with the location forward of the sprayhood is I'm pretty sure the camber of the cabin top would require that I make up a trim ring.

I'm also probably going to add a couple cabin fans. Not sure where the best locations would be though.  I do have a framed screen that fits into the companionway and one that velcros to the inside of the forward hatch and these really help with keeping things well ventilated when alongside or at anchor overnight.

1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

#2 2017-07-27 05:04:14

davidww1

Re: Ventilation - Cabin and in General

I have a Caframo Ultimate 2-speed fan on the port side of the bow bulkhead and another high up on the port side of the main bulkhead. They do an excellent job of clearing hot air when we first come aboard and, at low speed, keeping the air fresh while we're sleeping (complemented by a framed screen and Velcro'd forward screen like yours). There are stainless steel louvres on the faces of the berths; I'm not sure how much good they actually contribute, but there's no smell or mildew in the under-seat compartments or the bilge.
http://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/product/marine/ultimate-copy/

Quite a few people here have the Nicro solar-powered vents mounted on the companion slide. I've never questioned anyone about the pros and cons, but it's a popular idea.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2017-07-27 05:39:37)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2017-07-31 07:02:27

KenPole

NicroFico solar-powered vent between mast step and forehatch; replaceed portside fixed port above head with Beckson opening port and exterior rain hood; installed another Beckson opening port in bulkhead above galley. I have the solar vent in extraction mode, so it draws air from both Beckson ports which I leave open. The port on the bulkhead is under the dodger so rain isn't an issue.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#4 2017-09-01 05:25:24

wjames

For the first decade mildew developed on the interior (oiled) teak, and black mould here and there, e.g. on the grey caulking in the seam between the deck and hull. Over the last three decades improved ventilation and varnishing the teak eliminated these (admittedly small) problems.  I cut 4 holes in the cabin top and deck:
1. a Vetus flat deck UFOTR aft of the main cleat in the forepeak, which has worked perfectly. I have a spare and never needed it.
2,3. replaced both small windows with similar size Beckson RainDrain opening ports, one of which has developed a slow leak (after 30 years) and both will be upgraded this winter. Otherwise they have been great.
4. Nicro solar vent day night plus (4 inch) stainless N20804S installed above the wet locker, which has performed faultlessly, though beginning to be slightly audible operating on otherwise still nights. My idea was to suck the air out at midships, near the head and wet locker, from both bow and stern areas. Seems OK.

In addition I have replaced the main hatch cover with plexiglass halves the top has fly-screened teak louvres.

The old Vetus ventilator forward of the mast is still there, and should be regularly cleaned out. Sesiya has no ventilation grills for bilge, no dorade vents (never thought they were necessary). I do wipe down the interior fibreglass liner, surfaces and floor annually in spring with an anti-mildew mild chlorine-based cleaning liquid.

Sesiya has been fresh, even sweet smelling, these many years, and mildew-free. I believe that glossy varnish has helped.

On hot, stormy, humid days at anchor or dockside, a movable fan might be more comfortable. During freezing nights dockside, however, a small electric fan heater has been a boon.

Bill
Sesiya, #643 1975
Parry Sound & Bayfield Inlet, Georgian Bay

Bill
Sesiya, #643 1975
Parry Sound & Bayfield Inlet, Georgian Bay

#5 2017-09-01 12:51:31

BatGuano

Depending on the winds in your area, you may find this useful in the forward hatch.

https://i.imgur.com/Ft2fqzb.jpg

It is some sort of down-chute thing from West Marine (sorry, can't remember what it is called right now, it is aboard). It has hooks down below to keep it open down below, and you can adjust it for whatever wind you are getting.

Please forgive the bamboo bimini and the overall hippy/refugee look. It was a hot summer and we were living aboard for a few weeks.
Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Holyrood, NL

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

#6 2017-09-02 08:41:49

davidww1

They are variously called "Windscoops", "Windchutes" or similar, and Googling either one will give you a variety of sources, including a site that provides a pattern for making your own.

Hot summer in Newfoundland, eh? Heatwaves where the mercury was consistently over 15 degrees? Boy what a scorcher! The only time I was in NL (in July), I was never out of my windbreaker (at a minimum), while the locals were disporting themselves in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops, and exclaiming to one another about the tropical temperatures. Mind you, I'd go back in a heartbeat, the island is so beautiful.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2017-09-02 14:25:41

BatGuano

Ha! Yea, that normally is the case, but in July 2014 when we were sort of forced to live at the marina, It was consistently over 27~28 degrees, a few days over 30!

As a side note, this summer has been the best weather-wise I have seen here in decades. We were hoping for another trip to Trinity bay, but the cable housing to my gear shifter let go in Bay de Verde. Bamboo to the rescue again!

https://i.imgur.com/lmCMKj3.jpg
Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Holyrood, NL

Alan Richards
Runaway, Mk III hull 804
Somewhere, NL

Board footer