C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-11-02 04:34:34

c&c27dyc

Water scoop intake - Atomic 4

Has anyone removed the scoop on the thru-hull intake on an Atomic 4?  The manual indicates it should be there but if the engine runs fine without it, I'd prefer to remove it. Dean.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#2 2005-11-02 09:52:45

Re: Water scoop intake - Atomic 4

The slotted scoop on mine ('72 Mk I) was a seperate piece than the thru-hull itself, and had 4 holes thru the hull with bolts.  If yours is the same you need to properly seal the bolt holes. 
I can't imagine why you would want  to remove it - unless you live in a beautifully pristeen environment with no vegitation, no marine life, no man-made trash (like plastic bags), etc.  A jellyfish can really plug one to the point you'll need a diver to clear it.  Even in our hot environment here on the Gulf Coast (summer water temp over 90F sometimes), A4's seem to run fine without overheating.
Warren Smith (AKA Tropical Warren)
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

#3 2005-11-27 19:31:39

c&c27dyc

I too have the external scoop - with 4 screws vice bolts.  The reason for removing is - speed / speed.  I found a thru hull with a screen built into it.  Thanks, Warren.
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#4 2005-11-28 10:40:53

A seawater strainer (in my opinion) would be a good investment - and a larger intake rather than the 1/2 inch.
Warren Smith (AKA Tropical Warren)
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

#5 2005-11-29 00:16:00

davidww1

I'll second the value of a water strainer. Normally Towser's strainer has only a few tendrils of weed in it at the end of the season, but the past season was very weedy, so at one point the strainer basket was all but completely full of what looked like aquatic cotton batten.

Had it not been for the strainer, I'd probably have found myself bobbing around on the lake for a couple of hours, fishing that muck out of the engine's heat exchanger. As it was, it took less than five minutes to clear the basket.

As previous discussions have established, our engines have more than enough cooling capacity, even with 1/2" water inlets, so I'm not convinced I'd want to replace that with an inlet large enough to ingest the real problem around here, a plastic bag. What I'd like is an inexpensive flow-meter on that line - something simple that would register flow below some threshold value - to catch a blockage before it turns into an overheat.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2006-03-11 23:04:41

c&c27dyc

I think what I really wanted to know was - can the Atomic 4 run on just a straight 3/4" thru-hull (with screen) or does it need the scoop to force water in as it currently has?  Dean.
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#7 2006-03-12 01:55:16

davidww1

My Mark IV has a straight-line intake, no scoop, no external strainer. Getting enough water into the system has never been an issue. Do consider fitting a strainer in the intake line, though.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#8 2006-03-14 06:06:41

I have run for 20 plus years with no scoop on the intake - mainly to avoid the extra drag.  I have never had a problem provided I kept the boatspeed down to 6 knots.  Beyond that, it seems there is some cavitation at the intake.  I expect the requirement for a scoop/strainer is probably more a function of how much junk is in the water in your particular sailing environment. 

Board footer