C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-11-06 09:00:47

Damaged Rudder

My partner in the boat ran aground, and subsequently bent the rudder aft.  It looks like it was done while he was turning to port, as the rudder will not center, and certainly will not turn through the center to starboard. The top part of the rudder, aft of the post is hitting the flare on the hull.
Other than the obvious, which as far as i can tell would be a haul-out, remove the rudder, then attempt to straighten it, does anyone have any suggestions/comments/reccomendations?
We are finally going to fix our depth gauge and alarm!
Thank you,
Steven
1981 MK IV
"SIGNUS"
Palm Harbor, FL

#2 2003-11-06 18:21:10

Frank Marsden

Re: Damaged Rudder

Steven,
I think that trying to straighten the rudder stock would be not only extremely difficult, but could possibly be potentially dangerous as there would be work hardening of the stainless steel, and maybe , hidden damage.
Before trying I would consult a metallurgist.
Ralph Ainslie, who has a storm damaged  rudder, sent me photographs of the internal rudder structure; it maybe quicker, cheaper and easier to split the rudder vertically, and fit a whole new tube, then rebond the skins together.
I can only assume that the original production method was to lay up two rudder halves, mount on the stock, and then foam fill.
Maybe someone could confirm.
Frank Marsden

#3 2003-11-07 01:52:18

Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you, If you are lucky the rudder post is not bent inside the rudder itself,which would mean that a machine shop could most likely straighten the post without removing it from the rudder. If not, then its the obvious.
Good Luck
Bob Wilson

#4 2003-11-07 05:50:34

Steven,  Check out  Foss Foam Products,    <A href="http://www.newrudders.com">WWW.newrudders.com</A>   Bob Walker
Ph:  352-529-1104 in Florida.  He does not advertise  C&C rudders  but I would bet he could help out your friend.
Regards
Ralph Ainslie

#5 2003-11-11 03:41:23

I helped a friend preform exactly the same repair a couple of years ago, on an Express 30.  His additional problem was that the top of the rudder had actually penetrated the hull and was well and truely imbedded.  we removed the rudder complete with post, used a saw for cutting fibreglass casts (he is a doctor) and split the rudder in half around the perimeter, removed the post.  Had a new post made and placed back inbetween the two rudder halfs and glued the whole works back together with lots of coloidal silica thickened west system expoxy.  I believe he then wrapped the entire blade with reinforcing fibreglass mat, filled, sanded and painted.  That fixed the rudder, then we had to start on the hull.

#6 2003-12-09 09:56:41

davidww1

Ralph Ainslie's photos and description of his rudder replacement work are now available in the Black Arts section of the site. Words and photos on the cause of Ralph's problem are shown in 27 Tales under Halifax Hurricane.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2003-12-11 12:06:20

Thank all of you for your assistance.  I thought that you may want to know that all we needed to do was to cut off about 1/2-3/4 of the aft part of the rudder at the top.  This allowed the rudder to swing OK.  This has had no adverse affect as far as I can tell on the handling of the boat.</SPAN>
</SPAN>In order to do this the rudder was dropped, cut, fiber glassed at the top and repainted.</SPAN>
Thank you,
Steven
1981 MK IV
"SIGNUS"
Palm Harbor, FL

Board footer