C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-03-16 23:17:11

Looking for a Deck Hand Rail

I'm looking for a teak deck handrail to replace the original that broke during a regatta.  Any suggestions on a possible source or does someone have one buried in their basement.
Thanks,
Bruce Peever

#2 2004-03-17 03:41:26

Re: Looking for a Deck Hand Rail

I replaced both of mine 2 years ago.... I called the C&C resource and after discussing it over, it was going to be more expensive to ship them than it was it buy them....   I strongly suggest that you either take a few measurements and make the replacement or give the drawing to a local cabinet shop and they can make it for you.....  the cost of teak is quite expensive, but there is a wood called Iroko that is sold as a teak substitute which is great stuff and once finished is every bit as good.  What ever you do, make sure to bed the handrail down very well using your favorite goop.

C&C 27 Mklll
"IRIS"
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-03-18 22:20:13

Bruce,

If your near Toronto, try NOAHs - they made mine up a few years ago.  Not that expensive (hey for teak), but the quality of work was great.
Dave Beatty
REIVER

#4 2004-03-20 00:22:44

davidww1

Have you thought of going stainless? I like the look of the teak, but every time I see one of my children happily imposing their increasing weight on the gap in a rail, I regret not replacing them when I had them off. I've seen a 27 with stainless rails and they looked good.

I'll second the vote for Noah's if you want to stay wood. Make sure they match the originals. One of the reasons C&C handrails look better than most is because they are not slab-sided -- the bases are wider than the rails, so while being quite beefy, they look delicate.

Noah's will also tell you about a new technique from Gougeon - epoxy-coat your handrails, then varnish for a good-looking and incredibly tough rail.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2004-03-20 02:37:38

Before you do anything, go to <A href="http://www.teakflex.com">www.teakflex.com</A>. You will find an unique solution to the problem of various spacing sizes often encountered. This company offers an adjustable handrail system consisting of A-end supports B- inner supports C- 1" dowels. As you will see from their web site , the end/inner supports can be located wherever required to suit your old spacings. The dowel is available in lengths to your requirements. I believe that this system will be less expensive than the options offered. i.e. end/middle supports @ $7.50 ea: dowel @3.00/ft'.(US$$). Saw a photo in Good Old Boat and it looks great. Hopes this helps!
"Budge" C&C 27/2
Burlington Ontario

Board footer