C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-07-18 14:34:20

Yanmar to replace my Atom Bomb

I have a VERY OLD Atomic 4 in my C&C 27 and would like to replace it with a diesel. does anyone know what size Yanmar would fit in without modification?

Greg

#2 2003-07-23 01:31:32

Re: Yanmar to replace my Atom Bomb

I have a Yanmar YSM (12)R in my 27 and I,m sure it would fit in yours without to much problem.

#3 2003-07-24 17:58:52

Frank Marsden

Greg
I have just bought a Trapper 500, this is fitted with a Beta 20 hp three cylinder, and there is also a two cylinder 13.5 hp.
These are Kubota engines marinised in the UK
For the best possible deal email <A href="mailto:steve@albinvega.com">steve@albinvega.com</A>

#4 2003-07-29 05:06:19

Frank Marsden

Greg
If you visit <A href="http://www.euroboats.com">www.euroboats.com</A>  you will find that there is a boat listed as "trapper" which is the european version of a C&C 27 which has quote "18pk Yanmar" The implication is that this engine i.e 20hp or thereabouts Yanmar will fit a C&C 27

Frank marsden

#5 2003-08-01 02:45:03

Don't be in a rush to replace the Atomic four..... a kinder and gentler way is to look at having it rebuilt and updated with electronic ignition, freesh water cooling, a pvc valve, etc.    It will be quieter, just as reliable and safe, and considerably less expensive.   Check out Moyer marine site for information and base your final thoughts on what he has to offer.
My atomic four runs great and I would be unwilling to give up and engine I know everything about and can maintain and repair.  Besides where I have my 1975 C&C 27 Mk lll there are at least 8 other boats with atomic fours and none of them would give them up.

#6 2003-08-05 01:21:57

davidww1

I don't know who wrote the "kinder & gentler" post, but I agree with him. All the sailing mags are full of these "replace your gas engine" articles, but they seldom are honest about costs, which seldom stop with the engine itself. I recently heard a "drop-in replacement" horror story that ended in a bill for C$13,000. This admittedly is an extreme case, but the usual quotes for C$6,000 seldom include items like steam cleaning the fuel tank, replacing the hoses and (very probably) the prop, etc.

Unless you are thinking of going on a long cruise with a lot of motoring time, rebuilding what you have makes much more sense. I had mine rebuilt for C$2,000 and it wouldn't be my first choice to cruise down the ICW, but for running out to the race course and tootling around Lake Ontario, it's just fine.

Check out Moyer Marine (on our Links page) for some more sensible arguments from a guy who used to be an aviation safety expert.
David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2003-10-20 23:53:52

I just replaced my Atomic four With a Yanmar 2GM20    2 cylinder 18 HP diesel.
No modification to the engine beds except to replace the 2"x2" angle iron With 3"x3" Stainless angle to accomodate the wider footprint of the engine mounts.
The angle of the new installation to the shaft was perfect, also no modifications to the engine room.
Very easy switch.   Deisel was about $7500.00 Cdn.  C&C 27 Mk1.
Ralph Ainslie

#8 2004-03-22 05:40:21

davidww1

Ralph followed up with pictures and text on his replacement. See "Black Arts >> Hyperion's New Engine".

David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer