C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-09-27 12:34:33

Bilge Blower / Re-powering Mk V

I just bought a C&C27 Mark V and my wife complains about the odour of diesel in the cabin. Has anyone installed a bilge blower and and how did you install the blower and the exhaust vent? Any advise would be appreciated. I was thinking of buying the bilge blower from Holland Marine $44.00 3inch exhaust and exhausting it out the transom with a 3 inch drilled hole with a flexible vent cover.
Thanks Brian

Last edited by (2008-01-22 04:48:33)

#2 2007-09-28 03:27:07

davidww1

Re: Bilge Blower / Re-powering Mk V

Your boat should not smell of diesel, but your proposal is a band-aid, not a solution and a really bad band-aid at that. By putting a three-inch hole in your transom, you've just lowered your safe freeboard significantly; don't do it. Plus, bilge blowers aren't intended for extended operation - you'll go through at least one of those every season.

You've got a diesel fuel leak or leaks somewhere on the feed or return line, or on the diesel itself. This should be easy to find, despite the minuscule amount of liquid involved. First, if the engine is dirty, clean it with one of those proprietary cleaners they sell at Cdn Tire and let it dry. Run the engine for ten minutes to give the fuel a chance to leak out again. Then locate every fuel entry or return point on the engine (check your manual and don't forget the return), run your hands or a paper towel over each point and smell your hands or the towel after each. Do the same for the fuel line and any connection at the tank. When your hands come away smelly, you've got your loose connection or one of your loose connections. Keep checking until you're sure you've got the lot.

Your smelly connection may simply be loose, in which case you could simply tighten it. Better, however, is to replace the washer at the connection. This will probably be copper and it may be leaking because it has hardened. If you don't want to chase around after new washers, you can remove the offending washer and heat it to just red-hot with a propane torch, then allow it to cool slowly. This will soften the metal and restore its sealing properties.

All the above should stop new drips, but there is bound to be residue in the boat, so you should:
- give the engine area and the bilge a good scrub;
- rent a carpet steamer and clean the cushions over winter to remove absorbed smell (do the carpets while you're at it and your wife will be convinced that a boat is an excellent addition to the household). Store the cushions somewhere they can air thoroughly.

If you still want better ventilation, consider replacing one of the boat's passive vents with one of those Nicro Fico solar fan vents. They are designed for continuous operation and will keep your boat sweet.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2008-01-22 04:21:01

David,
I really appreciate your input. I have been reading the posting in the past so that I don't ask the same questions over again when they have already been answered. You are a great source of knowledge, wisdom and information. As a C&C27 owner I want to personally thank you for your participation in the Forum.
I just turned 65 Nov 07, bought my C&C27 in Aug 07 and am looking forward to a great sailing season this year 08. I am repowering my boat with a Beta Marine Diesel (2 stroke) and planning on installing a PSS as well. I will NOT be installing a bilge blower per your advice, however, I do plan to install an electric bilge pump (small one) in the bilge to exit through a "T" joint close manual bilge pump where the exit hose leaves the manual bilge pump. The previous own did an awesome job of upgrading the boat and replacing many things that needed to be replace. I am also replacing the foam and cushion material throughout. The boat has 10 sails (6 racing and 4 cruising).
Anyway, thanks again for your input. I would like to meet you some day.
Brian Lagerquist "Redeemed" #584 Barrie Yacht Club, Barrie, Ontario
I have a C&C27 Mark V which was brought up from Maryland. I believe the Yanmar 1GM10 was exposed to salt water. The engine is very noisy, vibrates more than I like (have folding prop and know when it is open fully) and to me is not very environmentally friendly. I have just purchase a Beta Marine BZ482 (13.9HP) which is built in England. The engine is about the same size and weights a little less. Question: Does anyone have any experience with re-powering their boat. If so, would you be willing to share your experience with me.
Brian - BYC - "Redeemed" 1985 Mark V

Engine installed works great see Black Arts. New Engine for Redeeded. The following is the original post........I have a C&C27 Mark V which was brought up from Maryland. I believe the Yanmar 1GM10 was exposed to salt water. The engine is very noisy, vibrates more than I like (have folding prop and know when it is open fully) and to me is not very environmentally friendly. I have just purchase a Beta Marine BZ482 (13.9HP) which is built in England. The engine is ;about the same size and weights a little less. Question: Does anyone have any experience with re-powering their boat. If so, would you be willing to share your experience with me.

#4 2008-01-22 04:55:49

davidww1

T-connections on a bilge pump line are not a great idea as you need to put a non-return valve on the electric pump's line, or water will flow from the manual pump back down to the electric pump. However, a non-return valve does restrict flow somewhat. I'm sure that other Mk V owners could advise you as to where to put a dedicated through-hull for the electric.

That said, I'm not a fan of electric pumps, as they tend to mask problems with water getting in from above or below. Better to find the sources of water and eliminate them, until you get to the point I've got my boat to (mostly thanks to the shaft seal, which you say you're getting), where I have to add water to the bilge periodically, to flush the spiders out.

You'll find a lot from me on re-powering in the Forum but most of it concerns the transformation from gas to diesel in a Mk IV. Also see the relevant bits in Black Arts on Ralph Ainsley's boat -- but again, gas to diesel in a Mk I. We don't have anything on re-powering  a Mk V. Please take notes and pictures -- it might be a worthwhile addition to the site.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2008-01-22 05:06:33

David,
Thank you for the incredible quick response. I will heed your advice. By the way the existing engine in my boat is a 1GM10 Yanmar diesel and the new engine is a Beta Marine Diesel 2 cylinder 13.9HP (Kubota block but "marinized" out of England). The following is the site that I ordered the engine from and there is a UK site as well. (<A href="http://www.soundmarinediesel.com">www.soundmarinediesel.com</A>) I will probably have a diesel mechanic assist me with the installation. I have been advised to have the shaft remove, inspected and replaced if necessary including the Crown/King??? bearing.
Brian Lagerquist "Redeemed" #584 Barrie Yacht Club   
I have a C&C27 Mark V which was brought up from Maryland. I believe the Yanmar 1GM10 was exposed to salt water. The engine is very noisy, vibrates more than I like (have folding prop and know when it is open fully) and to me is not very environmentally friendly. I have just purchase a Beta Marine BZ482 (13.9HP) which is built in England. The engine is about the same size and weights a little less. Question: Does anyone have any experience with re-powering their boat. If so, would you be willing to share your experience with me.

Engine installed works great see Black Arts. New Engine for Redeeded. The following is the original post........I have a C&C27 Mark V which was brought up from Maryland. I believe the Yanmar 1GM10 was exposed to salt water. The engine is very noisy, vibrates more than I like (have folding prop and know when it is open fully) and to me is not very environmentally friendly. I have just purchase a Beta Marine BZ482 (13.9HP) which is built in England. The engine is ;about the same size and weights a little less. Question: Does anyone have any experience with re-powering their boat. If so, would you be willing to share your experience with me.

#6 2008-01-22 06:53:03

davidww1

They are probably advising you to look at the cutless bearing (sometimes spelled 'cutlass', but manufacturers use the first spelling), the rubber dohickey in the p-bracket. They do wear out and this is the time to replace it.

A couple of gotchas in engine swapping -- ask the supplier if your Yanmar's exhaust hose is large enough for the Beta. Also ask about the prop -- if the power curves don't match, you may have to replace it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer