C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-12-19 08:43:00

pura vida

C&C 27 in Good Old Boat

The 27 is covered iin the latest copy of GOB.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2007-12-19 08:58:14

davidww1

Re: C&C 27 in Good Old Boat

Most of the restauranteurs I know downtown hate getting articles written about them. Seems counter-intuitive until you see the effect. For two weeks the joint is full of blowhards from the 'burbs in powder blue leisure suits who want drinks with little umbrellas on them. They scare away the regulars for a month and the net result is a loss of business.

What's the comparable in boats? 27's will get snapped up by romantic boneheads who've worn out three copies of  the DVD of "Master & Commander" and who think a 27 would be a great boat once they've converted it to a square rig!

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2007-12-20 02:24:22

pura vida

Sad but true... but consider Canadians lucky, we still have those kind of people who are wearing "western" leasure suits. (shiver).
On another, sad note, my old girl may be one of those snapped up. After twenty five years in business I've gone back for a MSW. My advisors are suggesting that I apply to the PhD program. If I do the boat will have to go. It is a hard decision.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2007-12-20 02:32:14

davidww1

Do you have children you could possibly sell or lease for research purposes? Perhaps indenture them to some high-paying but unsavoury occupation? That could provide an income and a subject for your thesis (success of rehabilitation strategies, for instance). Have to keep your priorities straight!

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV
PS -- You think I'm joking about the square rig? Look at today's Sailing Anarchy under Yabba Dabba Doo <http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php> to see what lunacy is perpetuated on innocent, reasonably designed boats. The Fred Flintstone keel!

Last edited by (2007-12-20 12:37:30)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2007-12-21 09:13:39

pura vida

Great idea! No kids, but I do have a nieces and nephews. I could keep them over the summer and get enough to pay slip rent for another year. They always want to go sailing anyway. If I could get funding for the study it could be a double hit!
Just kidding. Right now my job is to get as many miles out of her as I can.
As for the keel. It is sad what people will do to their boats.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#6 2008-01-06 23:33:06

diva27

I know the owners of this mag casually. They're good people. Real boaters, not publishing suits in New York who write about whatever the ad dept tells them to (e.g, new boats that cost more than my house). They sail a C&C 30 on Lake Superior.I find the magazine a fascinating window onto DIY enthusiasm, unencumbered by fact-checking. Many things are genuinely useful. Some things make you wonder what the hell people were thinking when they decided to add concrete ballast to the bilge or some such thing.
That said, the 27 article was seriously flawed by Ted Brewer's design comparison at the end, which was rendered gibberish by a confusion over which C&C 27 they were talking about. The drawing of course is the Mk 1 (which I own). The stats were from the mk III/IV. Plus those stats are a useless basis of comparison, since they don't really reflect the true hull dimensions of the III/IV. David W. knows I have a drawing derived from the original C&C design office plans comparing the two hulls. The waterline difference has been grossly exaggerated (blame the marketing dept way back when, I suspect). The two boats share exactly the same rudder post location, and the lwl as measured properly on the hull form is only 8 inches longer. The design dept dwg properly states the lwl as 21-8, not 22-11, as the brochures had it. To get that larger number, you have to include the skeg, which doesn't have a bearing on theoretical hull speed. (This was a cheat to make the boat sound potentially faster, which a lot of builders committed. Some included rudders in the dimension.) Anyway, my new year's resolution is to finally get a copy of this comparison drawing to Big George Cuthbertson, who I saw in November. When he gives it a thumbs up, I'll share it with the association.
happy new yearDoug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

[Doug is the author, with past-C&C naval architect Steve Killing, of  Yacht Design Explained, which will teach you a lot more than any other available book about yacht design, and that you'll really enjoy reading. - Admin]

Last edited by (2008-01-14 00:07:39)

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#7 2008-01-12 10:00:13

sclaude

I would be very interested in in detailled drawing of the Mark I/II hull.
Stéphane
Mystery C&C Mrk II, Victoria BC

#8 2008-02-05 13:51:28

Stéphane,
I may have the drawing you are looking for. I have a detailed, approx. 48" x 36" blueprint of the boat. This, I believe is an actual working blueprint with the signature of George Cuthbertson. This is not his autograph, but his approval to the work shown on the blue print. This is presently with the paperwork on my boat. I will pick it up on my next visitation and take a photo of it for you. Just let me know where to send it.
Greg Reese
Billerina, Hull #33

#9 2008-02-06 04:07:44

sclaude

Hi Greg,

That is very nice of you!  My e-mail adress is stephane.claude@nrc.ca

Stéphane

Mystery, Mark II, Hull 59
Victoria/Sidney BC

Board footer