C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-03-24 06:41:57

Need new tiller for Mk V

Hi Folks-

Hoping someone can help me out here.  I snapped the tiller on my 1985 Mk V while underway last season, and am in need of a replacement.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find a replacement?

Thanks.

Ruth
Ibid.
C&C 27 Mk. V
Bristol, RI

#2 2008-03-24 06:56:16

davidww1

Re: Need new tiller for Mk V

Pyacht.com sells made-to-order tillers at a very reasonable price.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2008-03-28 00:33:52

Nepenthe

I was browsing in West marine this week and was surprised to see a selection of several laminated tillers of various shapes and sizes (one was labelled "Catalina 27"). Prices looked to be about $140. You can also order online.
Greg Tokarz, Nepenthe, Mk1 Hull #73

Greg Tokarz,
Nepenthe, C&C 27 Mk1, Hull #73
National Yacht Club, Toronto

#4 2008-03-28 00:57:57

Hi Ruth,  I'm a former owner (5yrs) of a Mk 5 and I replaced my tiller a few years ago because I HATED that tiller. It was semi custom and I made it up myself with a bit of wood shop tools if you're a little bit handy.  I actually got all my stuff from LAYLINE.COM and their catalog. It was basically a laminated J-24 stick that I cut 2 inchs off the butt end and made 2 wood (ASH) shims to make up the width. Then I used the stainless tiller straps with the holes (also J-24 sized) and also drilled and installed the mountings for the tiller extension and auto pilot pin. It wasn't that cheap maybe $200 +- but LOOKED and handled GREAT  !!!!!!!!  Like I said I hated the stock stick. This tiller curved up about 5 inchs and was just the right height for EVERYTHING !!!  I can send you some photos and more info if you E me. I know they frown on personel e dresses here but we'll try. I almost sent this in tho the black arts page back then but ...   John  formerly of PERSISTENCE   jndg77@optonline.net

[So, in other words, get someone to make a J/24-style tiller, but a bit thicker and 2" shorter? Copy the address in The Fleet and Persistence's tiller will become an item in Black Arts now. Anyone else got any good tiller suggestions (any Mark of 27) they want to throw in the hopper while we're at it? - Admin]

Last edited by (2008-03-28 05:17:34)

#5 2008-03-28 05:57:10

I too have a Mark V with original (refinished) tiller.  I have been thinking how nice it would be if it had a 5 or 6 inch upsweep in it!  Does the upsweep interfere with the pilot seat?  Does it make for more comfortable steering when standing or using the pilot seat?  Barry 1987 Mk V Oasis

#6 2008-03-28 23:00:08

Hey Barry, and all others....The answers to Barrys questions are No, Yes & Yes.. It does NOT interfere with the seat, It IS MUCH nicer to steer with your legs, and it is WAY nicer to just sit on the seat and just reach out for the tiller, and it is MUCH MUCH easier to steer when using the tiller extension when sitting up on the rail.  Lastly as I said in the first post reply, this tiller LOOKS AWESOME besides handling better. The only retro fit I had to do was to raise the mounting thing for the auto pilot on the inside of the cockpit. ( I had a trick for that too). I will try to get some photos onto the Black Arts page, but that is a little complicated to do ( at least for me ). Again, If anybody wants to E me they can.  PS. I did write this tiller job up in detail on this forum about 3 years ago but don't know if its still back in the archives...    John

#7 2008-04-02 22:37:08

Hi Everybody,  If you're looking to replace your broken (or ugly) tiller on your Mk5, I did finally (with the help of Dave W...the Administrater) get some photos and details of making a new better looking and handling tiller onto the Black Arts page under the heading of "steering enhancements" . Between that page, my previous responces here and my original post back in May of 2006 most all of your questions should be answered, and if not, my E dress is still on one of the replies and I could send back more photos and details. Good luck and happy sailing.    John G now formerly of Persistence.

Board footer