C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-05-06 10:15:45

windyday

That round fuel tank

Just got a 1974 Mark II.  Plan to enjoy this summer renovating it to be the way I want, then in the water next year.  Looking at the fuel tank, which appears to be original.  I am suprised with how good it looks on the outside, but 33 years...

1. I've been through the forum archives, but wanted to get more opinions. I plan to at least pull the sender and check/clean out the interior.
2. Someone wrote that the tank is just a hair too wide to get it out of the starboard locker.  True?
3. Has anyone checked the original tank and determined it to be safe at this age?
4. Where would one get a replacement for the cylindrical tank?  I have local welding shops, but not sure about the round shape.

Thanks.---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2008-05-06 23:26:25

davidww1

Re: That round fuel tank

Inspect your tank carefully before you decide it's too old and discard it. A few C&C's of that vintage have Monel tanks, which are highly resistant to corrosion (I've only seen one, which was round like yours, but have heard reports of others). If it is Monel, drain it, pull the sender and inspect the inside surfaces with a borescope. If it's steel, pull it out and replace it no matter what it looks like.

Comments on the difficulty of removal applied to the rectangular tank. You'll have to measure yours to find out. If it is just a hair too wide, it would be possible to stealth-widen the opening by removing the teak surround. The glass could then be cut back on both sides almost to the outside of the surround, which would give you another 1 1/2" or so; once the teak is back in place, no one would see the cut area.

The approved replacement is plastic (see http://www.tempoproducts.com/); they're cheap and they're sufficiently fire-resistant to gain regulatory approval. Scott Schoeler suggests that they would be made more fire-resistant if there is a continuous piece of plywood between the tank and the engine (instead of the half-height piece there now).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2008-05-07 02:27:02

David Masury

I have a 1975 Mklll that has a round monel fuel tank... the monel tanks are very good and show no signs of corrosion inside or out.... it is though a 1/2 inch too big to get out through the starboard hatch...

Clean the tank thoroughly using a tank cleaner of some nature, filter the fuel you put in and have a good season.

David Masury
IRIS
1975 C&C 27 Mklll
Hull#453
Kittery Point, MAine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#4 2008-05-07 06:00:29

On the subject of fuel tanks....I had a leak in a MKIV tank which is the rectangular 76 litre Mirax aluminum tank.  Although I had it repaired by K-Weld of Burlington.  I did find out where to source the replacement tanks.  Mirax of St Louis MO sold the tank business to KSH Marine of AZ.  If anyone needs a replacement or one slightly smaller that will actually fit into the boat ....the e-mail address is..... [email]kshmarine@rraz.net">kshmarine@rraz.net</a>.

CASSIA

Bronte,ON

#5 2008-05-07 19:20:15

windyday

Thanks David.  How does one determine whether the metal is Monel?---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#6 2008-05-08 04:25:28

davidww1

The one I saw, that I was assured was Monel, looked rather like unpolished bronze. It was dark brown.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2008-05-08 08:15:18

David Masury

The reason that I know my fuel tank is monel, is because it says so on the testing label.  The tank when new was tested to 3-4 psi and the label was stamped with that information.  The color looks like dull aluminum... not oxidized, just dull.

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mklll
Hull #453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#8 2008-05-10 19:55:28

windyday

Thanks - I took a better look and indeed the original labels are there in great shape, and specify monel.  Interesting.---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#9 2008-05-20 05:03:15

Richard A

That round monel tank is too large to come out through the locker, but will fit if you remove the wooden curb.  Just did mine.

Richard

Board footer