C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-05-16 01:57:10

Al_Mac

Atomic4 Reverse Noise.

My Atomic4 makes a noise in reverse, probably a bad thrust bearing.  Instead of removing the engine to replace the bearing I am considering placing a reverse thrust bearing externally on the cutlass bearing hanger,  I use revers only occasionally so a simple Delron bearing should last OK.  Has anyone tried this?  Or any other suggestions?

Al Mac.

Al Mac

#2 2008-05-16 02:26:13

David Masury

Re: Atomic4 Reverse Noise.

IS it more noise than usual or just noise.   The A4 does make  noise in reverse, just the nature of the beast.  You may want to post the question on teh Atomic 4 site with Don Moyer...www.moyermarine.com    The site is only about A4's

David
'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2008-05-16 04:13:33

davidww1

I second the suggestion about posting the question on Don Moyer's site to find out if the noise is significant (A4's do make a whining, whirring sound in reverse).

As to the thrust bearing idea, I think you might simply be deferring the problem, and causing another one in the bargain. The p-bracket, what you call the cutless bearing hanger, isn't really set up to handle significant loads, certainly not a thrust load. Look at the attachment point inside the hull and you'll see what I mean. There's no structure there and the hull isn't even thickened much at that point. The result would be hull flexing, which would put the p-bracket out of alignment with the shaft, which would erode one or both.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2008-05-16 09:03:11

capricous

Ive read in Dons forums that the A4 makes noise in reverse and cant recall the reason,but its normal

At least I hope so, as mine does it!
Capricous Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#5 2008-05-17 01:35:33

Nepenthe

I searched the Moyer Marine site when I bought my Mk 1 two years ago as I was concerned about the loud humming / gear noise in reverse. According to the posts and advice from Moyer Marine, this is perfectly normal and is the usual noise made by the reversing gear (in forward there is no gearing as it is direct drive).
Greg Tokarz, Nepenthe, Mk1 Hull #73

Greg Tokarz,
Nepenthe, C&C 27 Mk1, Hull #73
National Yacht Club, Toronto

#6 2008-05-19 03:49:23

Al_Mac

Thans for the advice. I contacted Don at Moyer Marine who responded as follows.

It's very normal for reverse mode to produce a very pronounced "gear whine"kind of noise.  Universal apparently never expected us to operate in reversefor very long periods of time so they settled for rather crude pinion gearsturning on crude brass bushings to provide reverse.  As long as the transmission runs quietly in forward you should be perfectly OK.  We've never seen these gears to actually fail even in very high time engines.  In any case, we've never heard of this noise being made worse by a worn rear thrust bearing.  The thrust bearings in direct drive engines (and even more so in the case of 2 to 1 reduction models) are grossly over-designed for their workload and are as strong in reveres as they are in forward.  They seldom fail even in forward where they spend most of their time in service.

Al Mac

Board footer