C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-12-04 20:48:22

pura vida

Prop saga continues, this time for the better.

Well the diver finally decided to hand over my old prop. So now I have a prop and key in a paper bag. We're still in hurricane recovery mode, the lots are filled with broken boats and haulout time and costs are at a premium.

I don't trust my old diver to do the job right. So I plan on jumping in the water and putting the old fixed prop back on myself. This is just to have power until springtime when I will pull the boat and put in the Martec. Being a gear head I'm not aftraid of the job, but having never installed a prop underwater I'm getting as much information as I can.

For those of you who have installed a prop, is this as simple as locking the propshaft where it will not spin, placing the key and prop on, tightening the nut and adding a cotter pin? Or should I plan on a wrestling match that eats up two tanks of air?

thanks
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2008-12-05 02:54:36

carriden

Re: Prop saga continues, this time for the better.

Wrestling is for gators.  Just get a bigger hammer! 
Everything that I have ever heard or read says that the problems occur when you want to get the the propellor off.  As long as the shaft is clean, putting it on should be simple.  You may want to revisit it in a few weeks to make sure that it is still tight on the shaft and adjust the nut if it isn't.

Seriously, good luck Mike.Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2008-12-05 03:13:27

davidww1

The only issues in replacing a prop are getting the shaft key oriented correctly and ensuring that the key is properly positioned within the prop when the prop is slid onto the shaft. Most keys are not square in cross-section - sometimes this is obvious and sometimes not and being underwater may make this tricky to determine. Also, the key will try to slide forward as the prop is slid on; be sure it stays within the prop hub. You will probably want to put some grease on the hub or shaft; make sure it's a thin film or it will interfere with snugging up the nut. Snug the nut on firmly; don't reef it on super-tight. Don't forget the cotter pin in the nut.

Good luck with it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2008-12-07 03:59:56)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2008-12-06 08:23:06

pura vida

I have my prop! Thanks for the advice guys. I know that I am going to sound like a sissy here, but as soon as I have a warm day I'm donning the wetsuit and putting it back on.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2008-12-06 09:18:27

davidww1

Oh, don't worry about being thought a sissy. In Canada, we cook food in water that's cooler than what you sail in (semi-stewed beaver is a particular delicacy). The wetsuit is obviously to keep from becoming overheated.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2008-12-06 09:23:10)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer