C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-05 02:55:27

sclaude

Main Sail

I have a Mark II C&C27 with which I do family cruising and club racing off the coast of british Columbia (Sidney, BC).  I have started to race on PHRF (yes, not enough C&C 27 to form a fleet...) and after having taken the dimensions of my main sail (original, 1972), I realized that it is quite smaller than the maximum dimensions listed in the C&C27 web site.

Dimensions of my main sail (in feet) are:

HLB=0.33, E=8.83, MGU=3, MGM=5.5, MP=28.1

Maximum dimensions listed on the web site are (code 5 sail):

HLB=0.5, E=9.5, MGU=3.97, MGM=6.59, MP=29

That makes my main sail a code 3.

I talked to a sailmaker and he would custom make a Code 5 (maxiumum dimensions set in the web site) with a loose foot, 4 full battens and 2 reefs.

Here are my questions:

1) Would anyone know why my boat that used to be race is equipped with such a small main sail? In other words, would the boat handling be affected with the larger main (I sail with 170%, 150% and 120% genoas)?  I know that in light air, I should get better performance.  Is anyone experienced with sailing (racing and cruising) a Mark II with a code 5 main sail?

2) Any reason why I should not go with a full batten main sail? Is there any disadvantage over the traditional shirt battens? I did not notice a lot of fully battens mains on C&C27 club racing pictures.

Thanks for your help,

Stéphane

Mystery, C&C27 MarkII, 1972, Hull 59

#2 2009-01-06 01:37:27

davidww1

Re: Main Sail

Question 1) The only reason for reducing the dimensions that I can think of is reducing the mid-girth slightly to avoid hanging the roach on the backstay. Beyond that, perhaps someone else has an idea.

Question 2) Fully battened mains tend to be a bit flat in light air off the wind. You can counter this by tensioning your battens, but getting the tension exactly right is fiddly. A main with two short tapered battens down below opens up better. I can't see needing two reefs, but you know your local conditions better than I do.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-01-06 03:47:43

sclaude

Thank you David for the answers.  The sailmaker will check the boat's dimensions to avoid the backstay touching the sail.

I had to use the reef #1 with 20-25 knts and I like to have one more level in case the wind goes up.

I will keep in mind your comments on the full length battens: seem to agree with my observations of racing C&Cs pictures.

Stéphane

#4 2009-01-07 22:46:48

clanning

2 reefs might not be a bad idea, especially on the ocean.

Don't sweat a little roachiness -- contact with the backstay isn't abnormal for most boats (David -- is this true for a 27??)  Maybe the sail was cut down a bit as a repair?

Lots of boats have 2 full upper battens and 2 partial lowers.

Cheers
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#5 2009-01-13 09:01:54

sclaude

I talked to the sail maker and he is a big advocate of four full battens: keeps the sail in shape, fast and does not wear out the fabric so much. I will go for that, as most of the boats here in the club.

Yes, Chuck, I confirm with you that for making a code 5 (maximum size for racing without handicap) the sail will have a bit of a roach and touch the back stay (2 inches).  According to the sail maker's experience it is really worth it although below 5 knots of wind the main has to be helped for tacking (let go the main sheet and then in).  Higher than 5 knts the sail tacks with no help.

Stéphane

Mystery C&C27 Mrk II, Sidney, BC

Board footer