C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-24 01:38:06

Scott

Alcohol Stove

I have a good friend who is looking for an alcohol stove for his 29.  I have read through some of the archived posts about replacing alcohol with propane and am hoping someone still has their old one in the basement or the rafters of the garage.  If you have one or know where I could direct him to find a good, working used one, please let me know.  E-mail me at Scott (at) C3Marine (dot) com.  Thanks. Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

#2 2009-01-24 09:49:26

davidww1

Re: Alcohol Stove

Old-style alcohol stoves are the spawn of the devil, Scott, and when people swap them out, there's usually a good reason (like, they're leaking alcohol into the space underneath or have developed a random tendency to squirt flaming alcohol at people). A boat broker friend had a customer who paid for her $250k new boat (with propane) from an insurance settlement arising from burns from a pressure alcohol stove - tell your friend to lash out with the bucks for a new one.

A friend bought an Origo 4100CB 2 burner non-pressurized alcohol stove (with cutting board!) She ordered it online from Defender. Theirs was the best price she found. She really likes it and I must say I was impressed with how tractable it was during an overnight race.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2009-01-25 07:16:51)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-01-25 04:00:53

carriden

Let me add my voice to David's.  Old-style pressurized stoves, such as the Homestrands and Kenyons,  are disasters waiting to happen.  I pitched my first one off of my C&C 25 when it ran amok and could not be shut off.  I had to pitch it overboard in order to put out the fire (it was on a removable mounting tray).  I replaced it with one of the Origo stoves and was happy ever after.  One of the factors in choosing my particular 27 was that it came already equipped with a two-burner Origo 4100 that  burns alcohol without pressurizing it.

Go with the Origo.  Keep checking e-bay to see if any good used ones come up at a cheaper price.  Last year I almost managed to get one of the combination alcohol-electric versions.  Missed it by that much...Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#4 2009-01-25 11:20:43

pura vida

David and Marcus are right. I have heated everything (curtains, headliner, hands, face, hair) with my Homestrand and only rarely food. I removed it and replaced it with a Sea Cook which is more than enough to handle my limited cooking on board.

I have the Homestrand somewhere in my pile of boat parts, and can part with all but the metal lid. It is sold as a CURIOSITY only, although it was working when I took it out. If you friend wants to pay the freight I will try to find it and ship it to him. He can look at it and send whatever he thinks it is worth to the 27 Class Association to fund the bandwidth kitty.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2009-01-25 11:35:22

Scott

I knew when I made my request that it would likely elicit the advice to recommend seeking other options. Sailors are notorious for having strong opinions based on personal experience and a willingness to share them.  I am no exception. Despite warnings and suggestions, my friend is still persisting in replacing his CNG stove with a pressure alcohol stove. He can’t get CNG anywhere, has owned a boat with a pressure alcohol stove but not experienced the pressure alcohol horrors of others.  He is a friend whom I owe a favor and I promised to look for a stove for him and let him make the decision. He may still decide on another recommended option but that will be up to him.
Thanks for your advice (with which I agree) and thanks for your helping me with my promise.

Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Last edited by (2009-01-25 12:47:24)

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

#6 2009-01-27 09:39:35

c&c27dyc

Marcus, this is only saving me some measuring. - if you already know - Does the Origo 4100 fit into the current space currently used by the pressurized alchohol stove? Or would cutting be involved? It would save me the trip through the snow and trying to find the ladder buried under the snow. Cheers.
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#7 2009-01-27 10:24:40

carriden

Hi Dean,
I am tempted to say that it is a straight drop-in, but I cannot claim to know for sure.  My boat came with the 2-burner Origo already installed.  However, the metal boxing which surrounds the stove under the counter appears to be original and untouched.  This leads me to believe that it was a straight drop-in, but perhaps this particular metal boxing actually came with the Origo.
Sorry that I cannot be of more help with this.  Good luck with the ladder and watch your step!

Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

P.S. If there was cutting involved at the time of stove installation, it would only have been to enlarge the hole in the counter.  There is no problem with clearances underneath.

Last edited by (2009-01-27 10:26:17)

Marcus Opitz,

#8 2009-01-27 14:07:56

Brent

I echo the thoughts on the Kenyans. I grew up with one of those fire breathing monsters on our family"s DS 22. The saving grace was that the whole stove, mounting shelf and all was removable which meant I could safely cook my breakfast in the cockpit or on shore (weather permitting). These stoves are dangerous in anything other than a dead calm or a flat harbor since the pre-heating function can send an undesirable amount of alcohol cascading through the lower part of the stove and everywhere. Then add that its hard to see a lazy alcohol flame, the screaming of all on board when the cabins on fire etc...it's just a problem. And nobody likes a flaming seagull!

My new 27 has a propane unit on a gimbal which I am looking quite forward to using. I'll let you know how the maiden voyage tea serving goes.

This doesn't really add much to the conversation, I know but its fun to rant about something that never had a place in a small cabin in the first place.

Cheers
Brent D

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#9 2009-01-30 17:04:18

sclaude

Currently, I have the old propane stove that I disconnected because not safe.  I use a Butane 1 ring stove (portable) and store the cartridges in a bag outside.  That is pefect for cooking in the harbour for now.

Has anyone got some experience with a gimballed alchol stove?  I think that the gimballed stove is very useful for cooking while sailing.

Stéphane

Mystery Mk II

#10 2009-01-31 03:13:28

carriden

Hey there Stephane,

The down-side to non-pressurized Alcohol stoves is that they are not particularly quick to actually heat things.  This is acceptable when you are resting at anchor or in a slip, but is a real drawback when pounding through a swell, heeled over at 15 degrees.

My solution to this problem has been to install a mounting for a Forespar Mini-Galley 2000 (page 34 in their sailing gear catalog:  http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2008/Sailboat/2008SailingCatalog.pdf) on the partial bulkhead immediately in front of the companion-way steps.  This is a fully gimballed stove which runs off of the same propane tanks that are used for my Force 10 Barbecue on the stern pushpit.  These are also the same tanks which you use for a plumbing torch or Coleman camping stoves.  Since the tanks screw directly into the bottom of the stove, there is no issue of solenoids or running gas hoses through the interior.

The propane stove works quickly and, since it is gimballed in all directions, can even cope with a certain amount of pitch as well as heel.  Because of the mounting location, I can monitor my coffeepot, or stewpot, from the cockpit while sailing.  When not in use, the gimbal mount on the stove slips out of the mounting bracket, leaving only a flat plate on the bulkhead.  The stove stores in the locker underneath the galley drawer.  Since I have a more recent-model  27 (1980), I have a forward anchor locker which is vented externally and this is where I store my propane tanks.

I love my Origo 4100 for cooking at rest and my family and I have prepared many nice meals on it.  But for cooking under way, nothing beats the Mini-Galley.  Of course, it is limited to a single smaller pot or pan, but then who wants to get too ambitious while under way?
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,

#11 2009-01-31 03:53:57

sclaude

Hi Marcus,

This is great idea.  In fact I sailed (in France) with a similar galey (but with butane and two stoves) and it is practical while underway.

I live on the west coast close to Victoria BC on Vancouver Island.  Lots of cruising in the Gulf Islands (very protected).  In future, I wish to explore the whole Vancouver Island and go around it, which means open ocean. Also, I am doing club racing, and I wish to equip the boat for long overnight races.

Thankds for your advice,

Stéphane

Mystery MarkII

#12 2009-02-04 09:32:37

carriden

There is an Origo 4000 up for sale on E-bay.  Hurry, sale ends tomorrow (February 5th, 2009)!

The link is http://cgi.ebay.ca/Origo-4000-marine-boat-Alcohol-Stove-cooktop_W0QQitemZ200304474008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item200304474008&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,

#13 2009-02-04 18:55:05

windyday

Practical Sailor January 2009 reviewed two new CookMate alcohol stoves, with their usual extra useful information.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer