C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-04-30 11:57:36

rbingham

Total Newbie Mast Stepping

Bought a lovely MkIII last October & am about to get it in the water soon. My only concern is stepping the mast, a procedure I have never done before. (Not on anything this big, anyway.) You can only read so much about how it gets done, and once you actually do it once I'm sure it becomes quite strightforward. Right now, however, it makes me nervous.

My question is, any tips on specific C&C27 (general or III-specific) quirks, things to watch for, easy mistakes to make? Thanks, and great forum by the way. (I've sent in my memebership fee!)

cheers, richard

Richard Bingham
Peregrine
553/Mk III 1976
Toronto

#2 2009-04-30 12:24:54

davidww1

Re: Total Newbie Mast Stepping

Are you doing this yourself from a mast jack? Or are riggers doing this for you? If the latter, they will figure it out. If the former, what's the situation? Can you get help at the time from someone who has done it before? Give us a sense of the source of your nervousness.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-05-01 05:56:37

rbingham

Most likely myself and co-owners (brother & dad) plus any other handy types we can recruit as necessary (we have a number of friends with boats, though none with a 27); and using a mast jack. The whole thing is complicated by the need to first transport the boat from Sarnia to the Outer Harbour Marina; there we will have to wait til May 28th for the first available launch time. So we are thinking of trying to get it launched at Port Credit and sail it to Toronto, which might be faster. But this still requires the organization of both the launch and the mast step -- in another town. Perhaps there are riggers in Port Credit who could be hired there to do it. At least then I wouldn't worry about something not being set right halfway between Port Credit & Toronto. But sooner or later we have to do it ourselves, and figure it all out.

Then there's the whole deal of arranging the transport, which is its own kind of Tetris game. But that's another story. All of which adds to the general nervousness, all of which will be gone as soon as the boat is sitting happily in its slip.

Any & all suggestions happily received!

thanks

richard

Richard Bingham
Peregrine
553/Mk III 1976
Toronto

#4 2009-05-01 12:03:21

davidww1

Ask the transporting company what they can do for you - a Mk V is light enough that many truck cranes can launch her if the operator knows what he is doing. Ring up Port Credit Marina and see what they will do for you and at what cost (of course mast stepping is available). Also phone Hamilton Harbour Marina and ask them what they can do for you and at what cost. Hamilton is a long day's sail away, but waiting a month to launch at a union boatyard (Outer Harbour) is absurd. Bronte Harbour (Metro Marine) is also a possibility if they still have a lift there. Again, if they can launch, they probably can step (if they can launch but can't step, there's a bridge in Oakville that's perfect for stepping masts).

If you do it yourselves, don't involve too many people. Hordes of people will start issuing contradictory instructions that make a dog's breakfast of the situation. Three people max. Tell everyone else that they should get a coffee while you sort out the lines. When they get back, the three of you should have the job done. Tell them, you're sorry but you were in the groove.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

EDIT: Somehow got it in my head that you had a Mk V, but my Mk IV was launched by a truck crane for about $200 when I bought it.

Last edited by (2009-05-01 23:06:32)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-05-03 12:07:55

rbingham

Thanks David.

Union boatyard -- hadn't occurred to me. Might explain the pace of things around there (like the 24' cabin cruiser that's been sitting in the travelift for the last 2 days). I do like the location, though, & the manager is very pleasant... Anyway, if I don't do it there I'd rather go to Port Credit just so it isn't too long a haul on our very first trip. So I'll call them & see what can be done. Advice very much appreciated!

Richard

Windsong (soon to be Peregrine as soon as we can get up the guts to ignore superstition and/or do the appropriate Neptune-appeasing re-christening ceremony)

Mk III 553

Richard Bingham
Peregrine
553/Mk III 1976
Toronto

#6 2009-05-10 07:09:47

d7ratchford

Just a thought;but why not plunk the boat in at sarnia and motor/sail to toronto? make it a several small jump trip and learn about your boat in the process. I'm just guessing here but it shouldn't be terrible difficult to round up 2 or 3 folks to give you a hand. Your boat is one fine and forgiving unit so problems should be minimal...the trucking savings alone will make it worth while and the experience...well i'm sure you've seen the commercials. The nay sayers will have a field day..(giant tankers...huge squids...sunken cargo containers...pirates...) to site but a few. However;that being noted,you will find that as the weather gets nicer the truly dangerous species "gottaboatabnoxiousaurus" will rear it's multi tentaculared head from it's den and then!!!...My point being...do it now while there is plenty of space and time for error(s) and show no fear!...Best of luck which ever way you choose...D

#7 2009-05-11 01:11:19

rbingham

Would have loved to do it, but work commitments made it impossible. However, I agree with taking the adventurous approach when possible. In the end we got a good deal on shipping it to Toronto (another boat was being delivered to the same marina in Sarnia & we got the return ride cheap). We'll get in sooner if we can, and use the time on the hard to get a few things tidied up.

As for the mast stepping, on closer inspection the whole business looks less daunting than I thought. Helps to have the thing right in front of you in stead of 300 km away.

cheers, richard

Richard Bingham
Peregrine
553/Mk III 1976
Toronto

#8 2009-05-16 21:56:52

pura vida

Google "c&c 27 mast raising" and the first hit will be a Trevor Boicey's page on the subject. It has photos and a commentary. The hardest part of the project seems may be finding an idyllic cove on a cold northern lake to serve as a back drop for the operation. Seriously, it does look pretty straight forward. In raising the mast on my old catalina the biggest problem was making sure the turnbuckles were aligned correctly as the mast went up. Best of luck... and if you are a British Sports car fan the rest of Trevor's page is a hoot.

I wonder if Trevor would donate the page for the black arts section.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

[Trevor's page is fine where it is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), until such time as he decides he's lost interest in it -- then we'd like to host it. But in the meantime, it's a gateway to his Brit car pages, which having grown up with various English cars (the first car I remember was a Riley saloon, a lethal piece of machinery that Dad said never ran properly under 70mph), I think a hoot. There will shortly be a link in Black Arts. - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-05-18 10:13:34)

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer