C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-06-11 09:51:54

pura vida

Aurora Marine Club

Has anyone ever heard of the Aurora Marine Club? I received an email notice ouot of the blue that I was a member. The site looks legit, but I have not logged in. They have an Ontario mailing address.

thanks
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2009-06-11 13:03:54

foroadmin
Administrator

Re: Aurora Marine Club

Aurora Marine Club is a marketing effort by Aurora Products (bilge cleaners, deck wash, etc.). I don't have any feeling one way or another about their stuff.

All I can say is that they didn't get your address from us - should you be wondering. We have enough trouble extracting addresses for our own annual recruitment drive. And since all of our recruitment letters are addressed in the BCC field, there's no opportunity for people to harvest addresses via those letters.

Unless you particularly want to hear the latest in bilge cleaner news, I'd just tell them 'unsubscribe' and/or add their name to your spam list.

- Admin

PS And one more thing, speaking of spam lists - I have to recommend the anti-spam program Spamsieve for those using Macs. Once it's trained (which it does mostly by itself), you'll never see spam again, nor will you ever find real mail in your spam folder.

Last edited by (2009-06-12 00:51:19)

#3 2009-06-12 05:51:03

pura vida

I never considered the association as being related to the problem. You guys run a tight ship. Since Aurora were located in Ontario it seemed that Ontario sailors might be familiar with the name.

It is uncommon getting hit on this email address, though. Being in and out of IT for the better part of two decades, I'm a pretty savvy citizen of internet world. Most of my spam comes into one or two email accounts I set up for untrusworthy contacts. Still I do pass this one out to merchants from time to time. No telling how it got into the wild.

As for the bilge on Wind Horse, I think it's only slightly less clean than the water tank. (I won't drink from either but neither smell or have anything visible growing in them.) I think I'll just unsubscribe.

As always, thanks

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2009-06-12 12:58:01

davidww1

> I never considered the association as being related to the problem. You guys run a tight ship.

Thank you for saying so. Given what a friend you've been to the Assoc, I didn't think there was any implication. But for suspicious minds, I just wanted to get that right out in the open, that not only do we not sell names, we work to protect them according to a best practices paper that came out of MIT a few years back (I'd link it but I can't find it off the bat and tomorrow's a regatta).

My mother always said not to be too fussy about what you drink, because you've got to give your immune system some sparring partners on a regular basis, but I'm still not crazy about the water in my tank either.

Regards,

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Update - got an 'invitation' from Aurora Marine Club on an address that's never used for boat stuff. Can't unsubscribe because their site says it doesn't recognize my address. Oh, well, I'll mark it spam and I'll never see it again.

Last edited by (2009-06-16 02:53:33)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-06-19 03:22:10

wrapper

I am starting to get a few of these.  I will never buy from someone who spams.

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#6 2009-06-19 12:43:00

davidww1

Tell them. That's three of us. Remember the maxim in an early James Bond (written by a man who really did work in wartime counter-intelligence) - "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2009-06-26 00:12:37

Brent

Hmmm, it seems I am on their list too. I have used their plexiglass treatment in the past and it has worked for years removing the crust from my windows making them see-thru again but getting their ads unsolicited is annoying.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#8 2009-06-26 10:26:05

pura vida

Despite my telling them to go away, twice, they are still being caught in my spam traps. It is time to develop some Flemming-esque counter.

As an aside, I love the story that after a heart attack, Flemming was told to read childrens books. In response to the poor quality of what he found he wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Enjoy the water friends. It is 102 here and the wind it 5 knots at best.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#9 2009-07-01 23:55:38

davidww1

Text of a letter mailed today to the president of Aurora, Mr Richard Kittar <R.Kittar@auroramarine.com>.

Mr Richard Kittar,
Aurora Marine Industries Inc.
11-7015 Ordan Dr.
Mississauga, Ontario
L5T 1Y2

Sir,

Of late, I have received a number of e-mails from the Aurora Marine Club, an entity that purports to offer advice on cleaning my boat. I am quite happy with my boat-cleaning processes, so I have on two occasions attempted to unsubscribe from your mailing list. On both occasions, I’ve been told that my address is not on your list of subscribers, so I cannot be unsubscribed.

Now this is an address that I don’t give out, so it must have been obtained illicitly, or my mailbox is being accessed by some subterfuge. That I cannot unsubscribe  indicates to me that some sort of e-mail ploy that is not specific to my name is being used.

I regard this as highly discreditable conduct, unworthy of any enterprise and certainly unworthy of any company with hopes of selling its products to me or my friends. Again, I’m not alone; as one of Forum participant says, “I will never buy from anyone who spams.” So, right now you are hurting your business and the name of your business – people don't forget, and any blip in sales is far overshadowed by the damage you are doing to your reputation.

Stop the spamming and improve your unsubscribe process, and do it now, please. The alternative is that I, and I expect many others, will approach our preferred boating suppliers (I use three adjacent to the club launch station on Queen’s Quay East as well as the club chandlery) to explain what you are doing, and why we intend never to buy your products.

Yours, sincerely annoyed,

David Weatherston

cc: C&C 27 Association Forum

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#10 2009-07-02 00:50:00

pura vida