C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-07-02 07:08:40

windyday

Sink pumps

The apparently original hand lever pumps on the galley and head sinks are toast, done, finished. Time for new. I searched the archives here and did not find much on C&C 27 discussion. David went for Whale foot pumps, I gather, and likes them. Someone else did not like them. They are expensive (C$100 each). My question: do the hand lever style pumps work and last a reasonable length of time, or are they a pain to prime, and prone to short lives? 

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2009-07-02 12:41:25

pura vida

Re: Sink pumps

I have whale foot pumps and also a hand sink pump in the head. The priming is not a problem for either. The only thing I can say I dislike about the whale is that I have kicked and broken two of them in the head so far Since they are below the watertank they will siphon out all of the fresh water before you know it. The hand pump is still in place four years later.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2009-07-02 14:18:34

carriden

I have replaced both pumps in Carriden with Whale foot pumps and we are very happy with them.  The notion of trying to wash hands, or anything else, when one hand is busy pumping just drives me crazy.  Speaking from experience though, it is worth the money to buy genuine Whale brand pumps, rather than Chinese knockoffs.

As an alternative, it may well be worth going to electric pumps and pressure water.  The price differential is not that great and they may be easier to install than the foot pumps.  You just have to teach your crew about tight water discipline, since an electric pump can empty the water tank very quickly.

Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Link added. Amen. - Admin

Last edited by (2009-07-03 00:33:12)

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#4 2009-07-02 20:21:06

windyday

Marcus, where did you install  the foot pumps? I'm thinking the one in the galley could go under the sink with the pedal sticking through the base of the cabinet toward the outboard corner, so it is less in the way. Less certain about the head, since the cabinet under the sink is already full of throughulls and toilet hoses. If you have photos, that would be great.

Thanks for the heads up on the value of the more expensive pumps.

We miss the pressurized hot and cold running water from the last boat, but plan to make do with manual pumps and boiling water on this smaller boat.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#5 2009-07-03 00:42:21

davidww1

It's not true that I went for Whale foot pumps (if you're referring to me in that first post). I have a Whale double-action galley foot pump that is original to the boat - or at least it was there when I bought it.

I replaced the Whale Flipper in the head with another Flipper because it was recommended by a friend and because I didn't want to have to deal with the huge hole that I'd have had, had I chosen something else. Also, I couldn't think of a good place to put a double-action galley foot pump that wouldn't create other problems. And I did consider electric, but another friend said that small children and teenagers cannot be taught water discipline. As I then had smallish children, and as these were bound by some revolting process to become revolting teenagers (in both senses of the word), this seemed a compelling argument.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2009-07-03 05:46:11)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2009-07-27 06:24:02

windyday

Thanks for all the opinions. I ended up replacing the old Whale hand pumps with new Whale Galley Gusher Mark IV's. Drop-dead easy. They simply went into the old holes and worked first time. Crew is happy. I took a hard look at the foot pumps, but we decided the convenience of having two hands free did not win out over the added cost, larger size, cutting into the cabinets and building a support for the pump.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer