C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-08-19 23:49:14

David Masury

Edson Steering / morse engine control

Does anyone have a diagram that illustrates the way the morse cable (transmission lever)runs up into the edson pedistall.  My morse cable which is original to the boat is finally gone and I need to replace it and would like some diagram before I start tearing things apart.

Thanks,
'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#2 2009-08-20 01:09:56

davidww1

Re: Edson Steering / morse engine control

Does this help? It's one of several owners' guides on the site.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-08-20 01:22:18

Sorry Dave,

That only shows the steering system and nothing of the morse cables. Is the cable broken or rusted solid? The rusted ones can be fixed.

John

Last edited by (2009-08-20 01:25:40)

#4 2009-08-20 01:55:45

davidww1

See page 9 of the Edson material. It's limited, but it's there. As to 'fixing' rusted cables, it depends on what you mean by 'rusted'. For anything but the most superficial rust and certainly for a compromised cover, replacement is the safer option.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-08-20 03:02:58

David Masury

Thanks for the replies, none of the above.  Mine may be a unique installation as the morse cable runs up inside one of the chrome tubes to a lever within a separate housing from the steering unit.   I just went out to the boat and did some poking around and sort of figured out what holds what. When I get to doing the job I will shoot photos and post them in the black arts dept. 

The cable is original to the boat, thus it is getting cranky about pushing and pulling.

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#6 2009-08-20 07:59:14

carriden

Your installation is not unique, it is the same as other C&C Edson installations of that vintage.  It is just that the Edson reference link which David supplied is for a later vintage pedestal, when Edson had incorporated the shift and throttle levers into another casting which sits on the central pedestal, between the wheel sprocket and the compass.

Carriden has the same cable arrangement as Iris does, as do numerous other mid-1970 C&C's in our harbour.  In order to replace the either the shifter or throttle cables, you will need to disassemble your pedestal from the top.  Ultimately, this will give you access to the top of the shifter linkage, which you can then begin to disassemble.  You will need to push the cable housing up from underneath the cockpit sole in order to bring the "fork" up to the point where it can be unscrewed from the end of the cable.  Before you can do this, you will need to find the point where the cable housing is "anchored", which keeps the housing from moving as the shift lever moves.  You will need to release this anchoring point so that you can push the cable housing up through the stainless tube, to provide access to the fork.  Once you have the anchor point released and the fork unscrewed from the end of the cable, you should be able to pull the cable out under the cockpit sole and proceed with replacement.  At least that's the theory.  I have not yet had to do a cable replacement myself, so take all of this with a grain of salt and evaluate it against your own installation.  Good luck!
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#7 2009-08-20 22:02:31

David Masury

Marcus,  thank you for the description.   That is exactly what I have.   I went through the unit yesterday and determined what you described.   I just need to make it throught the rest of the season and do this work when the boat is on the hard.

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

I'll gladly take you up on the offer of photos. Designs like this that have been orphaned by their builders fall precisely within the Black Arts mandate. Thank you. - Admin

Last edited by (2009-08-21 00:27:35)

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

Board footer