C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-10-31 19:41:38

Burnham_Bob

UK Owner wants advice on holding tanks

I have a Trapper 500 which is the C&C with a British accent.  I need to fit a holding tank as European waters are getting stricter - for example if we sail to Holland we now need a tank.

I understand that later 27s had one as standard.  Could you please advise me of the location and the capacity installed?

Obvious place would be under the port forward bunk - the V berth.  Any help would be gratefully received.

#2 2009-11-02 02:08:53

carriden

Re: UK Owner wants advice on holding tanks

The location of the holding tanks evolved over the years.  In the Mark II and Mark III versions, the holding tank was located outboard of the head.  These were polypropylene tanks moulded to the correct shape to fit between the teak bulkhead behind the toilet and the inside surface of the hull.  The top of the tank was accessible through holes cut in the shelf which forms the bottom of the locker behind the sliding doors located in the top portion of the bulkhead.  I would not recommend this as a location for you to try and use, as you are not likely to find the right shape of tank (unless of course you salvage one from a C&C 27 which is being scrapped).  Also, this location often causes problems with the hose running from the toilet to the tank, as it needs to curve up through the sink locker and the space behind the bulkhead, arcing over just under the deckhead behind the sliding doors and the curving down into the top of the tank.  This means that there is a roughly 1-metre section of hose which stand essentially upright and is always filled with waste that has been pumped from the toilet.  If there is any problem with the seal where the hose is attached to the toilet, or the hose is not odour-proof, then things can become unpleasant on-board.  It has took me two full seasons of experimenting with clamps and caulking to get my hose-to-toilet seal water-tight (or at least urine-tight).  I am forwarding a couple of pictures of Carriden's holding tank installation to David for posting on the Black Arts page.  These were taken while I was refitting and refinishing the interior.

In the Mark IV, C&C shifted the holding tank to a location up forward under the V-berth.  From the perspective of running hoses from the head, this was greatly preferable to the previous location.  The down-side is that it locates the weight of the tank's contents further forward, which is not great for sailing performance.  You can of course source a rigid tank to fit in this location, but perhaps I can suggest a simpler, more cost-effective solution.  Vetus, a Dutch company, manufactures bladder-style waste and water tanks.  I fitted one of their 72-litre waste tanks under the V-berth of my C&C 25 and used it there for two decades without any problems at all (and no bad smells).  You would need to glass in some strong points for fastening the corners of the bladder so that it cannot shift in rough conditions, but that will be much simpler than having to glass in a shelf for a rigid tank.  Further, if you ever have to do any work on the hull, or simply clean under the V-berth, the bladder tank is easily removable.  Based on my own experience, this is a relatively inexpensive and simple solution to the holding-tank problem.  The bladders are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, so I am fairly sure that at least one of them should be a reasonably good fit.

Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Last edited by (2009-11-02 02:16:07)

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2009-11-02 08:19:30

davidww1

The "b" brochure on the C&C Photo site shows a late-model Mk III and indicates a 13 US gallon (52 litre) waste tank. I suspect that C&C moved the tank under the berth for that refresh, because I can't imagine space for 52 litres behind the head.

I disagree about the sailing performance aspect. When cruising, full tanks offset the weight of the "crew" (loafers and idlers all) who insist on clogging the cockpit and making the boat stern-heavy. When racing, crews should understand that they are expected to be working hard enough to sweat it off and not need the head. An empty tank is no impediment to performance.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Later - I was wrong, at least for Mk III's in 1980, as Kat's-Paw has a tank behind the panelling.

Last edited by (2009-11-02 08:43:33)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2009-11-02 21:18:57

pura vida

Raritan makes a holding tank that wraps around the head. The advantages are that they use space not otherwise used. The disadvantage is that you may need to move the head forward and do away with the sliding door to make it fit. I put in a curtain and built a simple platform out of marine ply to support the head and tank. The whole system has worked well for years and meets USCG standards. Another draw back is the small capacity of 5 US gallons, but if you generally sail in waters where it is legal to pump out and are prudent with use, then it may be a reasonable option.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer