C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-12-01 01:58:26

foroadmin
Administrator

Forum Security Warning

At 3 am (EST) Sunday Nov 29, 2009, the security on the server hosting the Association's website was breached by an unknown party.  The site has been rebuilt and is now clean of any external influence. 

While it would appear the effect of the 'hack' was solely to redirect users to another website, it is possible that other effects were also intended.  The Admins have scanned their systems with both virus and malware scanners and no intrusive elements were found, however we would recommend running a thorough virus scan of your computer if you visited any part of the CC27association.com website between 3 am Sunday morning and 10 am Monday morning. 

If you do not have an up-to-date virus scanner you can run an online scan here:

Norton/Symantec: http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp

or here:

McAfee: www.mcafee.com/freescan

Sorry for the inconvenience.

- Admin

Last edited by (2009-12-06 09:08:41)

#2 2009-12-03 13:00:47

Nepenthe

Re: Forum Security Warning

What about Mac users. My first attempt at accessing these sites indicates they do not support Mac.

Greg Tokarz, Nepenthe, C&C 27 Mk1, Hull #73

Greg Tokarz,
Nepenthe, C&C 27 Mk1, Hull #73
National Yacht Club, Toronto

#3 2009-12-04 01:37:04

davidww1

The Norton on-line service works if you connect via Firefox or Safari, but I don't think it provides much more than a test of your firewall. The downloadable package is Windows-only.

Do not, however, despair. A long debate over the value of security software for Macs was played out on Macintouch.com recently and the consensus from the site's informed readership was that there is as yet no need for security software such as is marketed by Symantec and McAfee, assuming you use the firewall built into OS X. (Go to Macintouch and look for "Security and Privacy" under "Special Reports" - the latest discussion starts around here.) Depending on your point of view, these packages can also be more of a nuisance than a help, as they may quarantine cross-platform files that contain viruses aimed at PC's that will not affect a Mac (on the other hand, you can then avoid sending an infected file on to other PC's - but on the other-other hand, it helps you to identify infected files that you can "innocently" send to people who annoy you).

From my reading of the various reader comments, if I were interested in having more on-going security, I would look at Clam, which is donation-ware, or Intego Virusbarrier, which is commercial software. (Note that these, like PC security software, are only useful to the extent that they are kept scrupulously up to date.)

For myself, I rely on the firewall functions provided by my router, by my own machine (OS X 10.6.2) and by Little Snitch, which monitors outgoing connections to ensure that nothing that is legitimately on the machine makes an outgoing connection without my knowledge. I have run Clam on my machine (it can be run automatically, or you can do a "manual" one-shot scan) and it's clean.

Hope this helps.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2009-12-04 04:14:37)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2009-12-06 09:08:36

foroadmin
Administrator

Sorry subsequent posters - we are _not_ having anything that carries even a whiff of the Mac-vs-PC debate. There is sufficient information to either allay fears or form a basis for action. The thread is now locked.
- Admin

Board footer