C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-11-15 02:17:04

pura vida

Zebra Mussels

Zebra Mussles have invaded Galveston Bay. They have been here for some time, but since Hurricane Ike their numbers have exploded. What are they like on the Great Lakes? Has anyone come up with a reasonable way to keep them from growing in the thru-hulls. I have heard of putting various chemical down the drains will make them die and drop to the bottom. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2009-11-15 07:36:51

diva27

Re: Zebra Mussels

For the last 15 years, I've been watching zebra mussels steadily colonize Georgian Bay. Coincidentally, club haulout this year was the first time I'd really noticed zebra mussels attached to members' boats, mainly on outboards on small keelboats, but also around the sterns and rudder posts of boats whose owners were a little too casual with applying a biocide bottom paint. I have heard tell of zebra mussels doing a pretty thorough job of colonizing outboard and outdrive legs, but so far haven't lost too much sleep about them getting inside my atomic 4. I'm not sure what they can handle in the way of heat, and the veligers would have to get past the water pump first. Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#3 2009-11-15 08:18:29

davidww1

Zebra mussels are an established fact of life on Lake Ontario, but in most instances they're more a problem when you're out of your boat than in. They're razor sharp, so everyone has stories of being cut by their shells while swimming or climbing a ladder from the water. They clear the water of suspended particulates, so they have changed the ecosystem in many parts of the lakes where existing life depended on murky water. In many places this means that sunlight gets down to the bottom, encouraging the growth of the vegetation. Some very nice corners of the Lake are now impassable because of weed, and our club has had to buy a weed-eater boat to keep the growth to manageable levels.
They haven't been much of an issue for our boats themselves because Lake Ontario boats are only in the water for six months or less - just when a nice colony gets started, bingo, it's haulout time and they're off for that Great Clambake in the Sky.

I'm surprised that Doug has seen any zebra mussels on boats at all - summer is so short up there that it's not uncommon to see a fellow taking the snow tires off the front of his car while his wife is busy putting them back on the rear, so as you can imagine their boats get less time out on the Bay than the ice fishing huts.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2009-11-15 12:59:53

diva27

David is exaggerating about the weather up here, of course. Why, this year, summer showed up in mid-August and hung around all the way to Labour Day.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#5 2009-11-16 00:08:33

davidww1

What a coincidence - that's what happened in Toronto this year, too.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2009-11-16 06:37:37

diva27

OK, but I didn't mention that during those 2 weeks I twice had to pick up a rattlesnake to scare away a bear.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#7 2009-11-16 06:56:36

davidww1

If you could find that rattlesnake, you could make a fortune down on Bay St., scaring away the bears.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#8 2009-11-16 07:10:15

diva27

Bwahahahahah
Well played.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#9 2009-11-16 11:06:02

pura vida

Wikipedia finally paid off. Good one!
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

[Bay St on Wikipedia? Who'da thunk it. Very unrepresentative pic though - viewing Bay and King on Google Earth gives you a better sense of the place. - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-11-17 01:14:54)

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#10 2009-12-06 00:32:53

pura vida

The solution seemed simple enough when I thought about it. Since a change in Bay salinity is what is promoting the growth of the muscles, changing the salinity in the thru hulls may solve the problem. So I'm experimenting with zebra muscles growing in PVC pipe to see if plain rock salt will make them drop loose. If I'm successful I'll post it.

Yes, Google maps does provide an interesting look at the corner of Bay and King. Being of Scots-Irish descent, I am curious why the Irish Embassy is marked with what looks like a martini glass. Shouldn't that be a pint?
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#11 2009-12-06 02:06:57

davidww1

1. The Irish Embassy is on Yonge St., where almost anything goes. Bay and King is banks on all four corners, and no extraneous signage is allowed to intervene in the message that "We are in charge".

2. Toronto is home to a world-leading company that "makes" Irish Pubs in the form of CNC-carved and moulded beams, ready-stamped horse-brasses and all the other "ye anciente" guff that infests these places. Tell them the size of your rooms, they'll slice it and dice it, pop it in a container and ship it anywhere in the world. Do not look here for historical or cultural fidelity; the voice of Clio is drowned by the subtle swish of cards being swiped.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2009-12-06 02:07:23)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer