C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-01-14 02:01:22

ALAN FORD

Sister clips

How do you prefer to join the headsail ( and spin ) clew(s) to the sheets? I'm from a class that uses sister clips.......light, simple and fast to use. but the Etchell's foresail is a blade. Perhaps those are not strong enough for our large ( 155%) genoas?  And ease when changing sails becomes important.
I need your ideas please.
Thanks
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#2 2010-01-14 03:22:13

Steve Reid

Re: Sister clips

Allen:
On Still Knot Working, and indead any boat with an overlapping genoa that I have ever sailed on, we tie the genoa sheets on with a bowline.
The last thing you want is some large piece of metal flaining around on the foredeck every time you tack the boat. For the spinnaker we use snap shakels. You ned find the lightest ones you can that will have sufficient strength for the load of the spinnnaker, especially when it collapses and refills.
Hope that helps.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working

#3 2010-01-14 05:58:40

ALAN FORD

Thanks Steve. that's what I hoped to hear. In the few times I sailed "Smoke" after bringing her to Bronte I had the sheets tied to the RF genoa clew with a bowline, so that was a good ( and safe ) guess.
Snap shackles come in a dozen shapes and sizes, and most of the good ones start at 2500 lbs stress before deformation. Does that sound OK for the sudden SNAP as the spin starts to draw in a strong breeze, or more than is needed? I can't find any real number for this load, but an Etchell's spin is comparable to ours, and they survive with sister clips which have far lower numbers as their "tensile strength". The sister clip also has the advantage of lower weight in a light breeze.

#4 2010-01-14 06:12:10

Steve Reid

Alan, I use Wichard snap shakles, the smallest they make and they have worked fine for the past 5 years and stood up to many broaches.
I also use a set of light air sheets for when the wind is almost noexistant and we just tie them on with bowlines, seems to work fine, they are 1/8th braided dacron.
Steve

#5 2010-01-14 12:26:43

ALAN FORD

That's great guidance Steve, again thanks. This is becoming a constructive Winter for me and "Smoke", allowing me to track down much needed stuff.

#6 2010-01-15 01:05:21

davidww1

For what it's worth, Kat's Paw uses Lewmar plastic clips (that are sold as a pair in red and green) in all winds. The time I sailed with them I expected them to blow up at any moment, but they didn't. They're very light.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2010-01-15 09:52:14

carriden

It seems counter-intuitive, but when I checked the weight of the plastic shackles against the weight of the small, fixed-bail Wichard snap shackles the difference was only a couple of grams.  What I did find from experience was that it was easy for the pin on the plastic shackles to snap at the end with the ring, which causes the shackle pin to disappear and renders the shackle useless.  I used to use them on my light-air lines but I gave them up and returned to the Wichard units.

Alan, judging from the class specs, Etchells have a considerably smaller spinnaker than ours.  I certainly would not be inclined to trust sister clips for the loads on our spinnakers, although I was happy to use them when I had a Shark.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

Board footer