C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-04-06 05:10:03

ferreira

C&C 27 impeller paddlewheel

While checking the undersides of the boat, I noticed that the paddlewheel on the impeller for the knotmeter needs to be replaced. 

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?  I have not taken the impeller itself out yet, but I'm hoping to be able to replace just the paddle wheel. 

The paddle wheel itself still spins, but one of the small paddles has broken off. 

;

#2 2010-04-06 06:54:25

davidww1

Re: C&C 27 impeller paddlewheel

Contact the manufacturer /service agent for the knotmeter you have on board. Companies are reluctant to provide minor parts like this, but you might get lucky if they have something lying around.

Your broken wheel probably had six blades so if you can't find a replacement wheel, just multiply the indicated speed by 6/5ths.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2010-04-06 07:01:14)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-04-06 07:13:48

ferreira

>>Your broken wheel probably had six blades so if you can't find a replacement wheel, just multiply the indicated speed by 6/5ths

Funny! 
Actually, what prompted me to look into it, was that last summer, all of a sudden I was going a lot slower (not just 5/6ths) - at least that's what the knotmeter said.  Initially I thought someone had just bumped their knee against the display.  So I went to recalibrate it, but it would take a lot of calibration to get it back where it should be.

;

#4 2010-04-06 07:19:31

davidww1

Is your impeller forward of the keel? It may be that the blade was broken off by pressure from a sling (or some other accident of the launch/haulout process), in which case the wheel's axle may have been damaged. Make sure it not only spins but spins freely before investing too much energy in searching for the wheel alone.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2010-04-06 18:57:10

pura vida

I think that some where up under the floor of Wind Horse is the sending unit from the old knot meter. Find out which one you have and post the brand. Assumming that my old one is still there and the two are the same, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#6 2010-04-07 01:56:18

David Masury

If the impeller goes around smoothly and is just missing a part of one blade then simply bond on a piece of acrylic or lexan, shape it to match the other blades and reinstall the paddle wheel into the holder.   There is no magic other than the impeller has small magnets in the base of each blade that count the revs, and besides all of that, they are not very accurate. 

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#7 2010-04-07 03:51:09

ferreira

Hi David,
the problem is that at least one of the magnets has fallen off, which is what causes the wrong speed read-outs.  The relative speed still works, which is the important thing, once you get an idea of what the new target speeds should be. 
Nevertheless, would be good to get this fixed.

Mike: I believe the knotmeter is made by Danagate, and the model is called Danavigate.  I don't think these guys are in business anymore. 

Thanks

;

#8 2010-04-07 08:54:46

pura vida

I'll take a look and see if I can find it.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer