C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-05-13 05:10:52

ce1993

Windows

I replaced my windows last weekend. I used the seals from South Shore Yachts and with the help of previous posts the job went incredibly smooth and easy. The main reason I replaced them was because they were sun damaged. Now though the two larger windows leak! The water isn't comming in around the frame, it is working its way between the seal and the acrylic.
It then slips under the acrylic and flows over the foam. I cut the acrylic the same size as the old windows, doubt that they were original since the previous owner caulked them in with 5200. Won't go into what a nightmare that was cleaning the frames, suffice it to say his name was taken in vain many times! Could the new acrylic not be thick enough? Used a product called Optix Acrylic .118 in thick, guaranteed not to yellow for 10 yrs. Or maybe the old windows weren't the correct size, and since I used them for a pattern my new ones aren't either.

John
Molly J #431

Molly J

#2 2010-05-14 00:29:16

davidww1

Re: Windows

As a general observation, it's hard to diagnose a problem like a leak without seeing the installation and it's probably safe to say that none of us have done a job like this enough times to be able to have compiled a list of "gotcha's" that you could look for. If I were you, though, I'd phone South Shore and ask them if they have any advice.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-05-14 15:13:10

Brent

I replaced the rubber on the windows of my DS22 a few years ago and I think they were more or less the same as the older C&C style.
Did you use 1/16 butyl tape between the frames and the plexi? if you only squished in the rubber spline with no butyl it will leak for sure.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#4 2010-05-15 03:33:14

capricous

I have the same problem and plan to spend some time with it on the mooring
I'll let you know if I find the reason for leaking