C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-05-10 02:01:25

Tonyj

MkV Genoa car position w/ 150%

Hi:
If I am flying my 150% genoa, I use the track on the coaming, with the car pretty much all the way forward. This is fime if we're close hauled.  However, when bearing off onto a reach, we now should be using the more forward car on the "regular" track alongside the deckhouse, but I don't know an easy way to transfer the sheet between cars.   
If you've experienced this problem, do you have a fix?
Regards,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS #581
San Diego

#2 2010-05-10 06:52:54

davidww1

Re: MkV Genoa car position w/ 150%

One of the standard tricks on the Mks I to III for white-sail reaching is to carry a second sheet running under the lifelines and through a block well forward on the toe-rail. On the end of the sheet is a snap-shackle or sometimes just a cunningham hook. As the inboard (close-hauled) sheet is eased, someone reaches over and attaches the new outboard (reaching) sheet. The load is transferred and away you go.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-05-10 07:55:21

Towser- is the reverse just as easy? disconnecting the snap shackle or hook under pressure while sheeting in?copasetic

#4 2010-05-10 08:03:57

davidww1

Yes, it's easy because while hand-holding the reaching sheet, you've transferred the load back to the inboard sheet (obviously you don't do any of this - nor in all probability is it necessary - if the wind strength is beyond the ability of the crew to do this exchange smoothly). As the inboard sheet comes in for a beat to weather, the outboard sheet goes slack and is easy to remove then hook somewhere where it's not going to cause problems.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2010-05-11 08:33:36

JWente

that's what we do on Distant Thunder
jim

#6 2010-05-19 03:09:17

Further to that tip.  We found, on the MkII's anyway, that if you sent the genoa trimmer forward of the the mast while reaching or running the transom lifted out of the water and the boat went much faster. The new sheet lead position is critical and should be set so, when sheeting in , all the ticklers break at the same time.

Board footer