C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-07-01 03:02:49

C&C 27 Cored Hulls?

I apologize if this has been asked before.  I've spent a lot of time researching 27s, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to these questions.

1. Is the hull of the C&C 27 MKV cored?

2. Is the hull of the C&C 27 MKIV cored?

3. The MKV is a significantly different boat from the previous marks.  Presumably, the MKIV compares favourably against the earlier marks; but what about against the MKV?   

To give context to question 3, I am looking for a boat to cruise with.  I don;t intend to race the boat, but I still want to be able to move around quickly.

The "Guide To The Marks" speaks about the MKV being designed in response to market changes forcing the company to build boats cheaper.  Did this affect the build quality of the MKV?

Any insight is very much appreciated.

#2 2010-07-02 02:21:57

davidww1

Re: C&C 27 Cored Hulls?

1. Don't know for sure, but given the design goals (among which was lowered cost), I doubt it.

2. Mk's I, II, III and IV hulls are not cored (read Guide and Evolution carefully - a IV is a III with minor changes from the late-series III's).

3. The I, II, III and IV (what are sometimes referred to as the "classic" 27's) are totally different boats from the V. These boats are traditional in layout and construction, insofar as a glass boat can be called "traditional"; the V owes more to good, contemporary industrial design.

The V is a nice boat for all types of sailors (but it's not a level-raced Fleet boat at my club, which is a powerful reason for having a III or IV). There is no compromise in C&C's high level of build quality; instead they used contemporary design to remove cost (1-piece mouldings, outboard rudder, simplified interior furniture, etc.). V's are still C&C's.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-07-02 07:17:05

pura vida

I race Wind Horse once or twice a year, generally at the marina get togethers with a couple of old guys from the docks for crew. I always hold my own, finishing ahead of much larger boats. That I write off to the boat, not my skills. (You could pick any five association members at random and expect me to come in sixth against them.) My point is, that even the old MKIs and MKIIs can hold their own and sail fast. Just keep a lot of jib up.

The real difference in the older boats is the off balance rudder, not the length or the materials. It takes a really good sailor to make those extra 6 inches count.

If you are going to cruise, consider the older boats. They can often be had at a savings, especilly over the V. And that is extra money for new sails, etc. 
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2010-07-03 13:13:54

Brent

The MkV is NOT a cored hull. Nothing but good ol glass all the way through!
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#5 2010-07-03 15:18:10

oasis

Agree, hull is not, but the deck is, is it not?

Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#6 2010-07-04 02:07:49

Dave O

The decks are cored so you have to watch for water intrusion around fittings and so forth.  Worst case that can result in the need for substantial repair (see Black Arts).  However, the damage in my boat was not that severe and repairs were done fitting-by-fitting at my pace over the course of several seasons. 

I prefer a solid hull and would not worry so much about the deck.  To me cored construction beneath the waterline represents the possibility for much greater problems than simply a soft deck.

Regardless a good survey will be well worth the money.

Dave O
Port Credit

#7 2010-07-04 04:45:50

carriden

I know that conventional wisdom holds that the hulls of C&C 27's are all solid fiberglass, without any coring.  As far as balsa core goes, this is apparently true.  However, after removing interior panels in Carriden and exposing the inside of the hull fiberglass, I realized that I was seeing what did in fact appear to be a filler material used to bulk up the laminate along the sides of the hull.  This was noticeable behind the port-side bulkhead (which supports the table) and behind the head cabinetry.  This material looks very much like Lantor Coremat (see www.lantor.nl/index.php/id_structuur/10598/coremat.html).  Coremat is itself a non-woven polyester fabric containing microspheres, which adds bulk and rigidity to large panels and helps prevent "print-through" where bulkheads are tabbed to the hull, etc.  It comes in thicknesses from 1 mm to 10 mm (the one that I was seeing would not have been more than 2 or 3 mm thick).  Since it is also polyester and glass, it is not subject to rot the way that balsa coring is and, if properly impregnated with resin, not subject to water penetration.  Now Carriden was built in 1980 and as such may have benefited from the improvements in fiberglass moulding technology which were coming fast and furious in those heady days.  I found a similar layup structure in a 1987 Beneteau 23.5 which I was working on.
Has anybody else out there found something similar in their boats, or does anybody have some solid information from people who actually worked on building the boats?
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

Board footer