C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-10-03 20:44:38

capricous

Drain Hole

Can I drill a drain hole under the seat storage next to the ice box?
I have water in there from condensation
Thanks in advance
Dana
Marblehead Ma

Capricious Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#2 2010-10-03 21:09:42

davidww1

Re: Drain Hole

That's a rotten spot to drill, as you'd have to find exactly the right spot and drill at precisely the right angle to avoid a really ugly result (as in, either making a visible hole into the interior, or a hole through the hull laminate - maybe all the way through the hull laminate).

You might be better off putting a vent or two on the side and front of the locker to clear the condensation; as I discovered, the drain hole made by the PO worked both ways. Every now and again a blustery day would deposit just enough bilge water in the locker to make a mess, so I blocked the hole.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2010-10-03 21:36:45

carriden

Hey there Dana. 
I take it that you are referring to the aft settee on the port side and whether or not you should create a limber hole between the seat and the bilge.  In the first year that I had Carriden, I too had problems with water accumulation under this seat.  However, this was not the result of condensation.  Instead, it appeared to be the result of having some water accumulation in the bilge.  When the boat heeled over far enough to port (we sometimes push her hard when racing), the water would run from the bilge underneath the fiberglas liner that forms the foot well under the table, or through the locker under the forward settee, and pool on the port side of the hull.  As the boat would come back upright, some of this water would drain into the compartment under the aft settee and be unable to drain back into the bilge.

My solution to the problem had two parts:  first, I installed an electric bilge pump to make sure that the amount of water in the bilge is kept to an absolute minimum.  The more water there is in the bilge, the less you have to heel for the problem to occur.  Second, I did successfully open up a limber hole in the forward inboard corner of the compartment under the settee, using a Dremel rotary tool.  If you reach into the bilge and feel under the floorboards towards the corner of the settee, you should find that there is filler, and possibly some foam, that C&C used to bed the cabin liner to the inside of the hull.  This filler is the substance which is sealing up the bottom of your locker.  By feel, you should be able to determine how much clearance there is between the bottom of the liner and the inside of the hull.  In Carriden's case, there was over an inch of room to work with.  Using the rotary tool on the inside of the locker, I carefully ground away at the filler, making VERY sure that I stayed away from grinding into the fiberglas of the hull itself.  Eventually, I succeeded in opening up a limber hole of 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch diameter, which now allows the locker to drain into the bilge.  There have been no further problems with water in the locker.

The real trick here is to proceed slowly with opening up the hole, making sure that you neither grind into the hull nor through the cabin liner which forms the base of the settee and the cabin sole.  Otherwise it is a fairly simple job, it's just intimidating because of the proximity to the hull and potential danger to hull integrity.  Good luck!
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#4 2010-10-04 00:59:43

capricous

Thanks for the quick replies

It is from healing,as that coincides when I see the most water,and
I have learned to empty the bilge before putting the rail under,as I saw water on the floor after.
Thought it might be a little hairy drilling the hole.

Thanks again
Dana

Capricious Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#5 2010-10-04 01:55:35

davidww1

I've touched on this before, but one way to get rid of water in the bilges (and thus eliminate it from lockers) is to fit a PSS Shaft Seal. There's so little water in Towser's bilge that I have had to develop the habit of dumping a bucketful in now and again to give the spiders a swim.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer