C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-02-17 12:51:55

ALAN FORD

Shackles

David's 'Bargain Gear' article in Black Arts tells us what to avoid, but I discovered a number of assorted shackles hiding on SMOKE and need help in deciding what is good and what is dead.
I have several different Wichard units, including an amazing quick release unit with swivel, all of which seem excellent.
Then I have some Merriman snaps, two sizes, (with a Maseratti trident logo), with swivel, which feel and look good.
Also some Nicro Fico snaps ( with NM on them), rather vintage in manufacture and design, but again feel and look OK.
Some Shaefer blocks with (I think) Shaefer shackles attached.
Same situation with the Harken 009 blocks. They have unmarked D's attached which look fine, but I can't see a logo, name or mark.
Finding specs on the Merriman and Nicro Fico units eludes me, so some guidance would be helpful. Thanks.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#2 2011-02-18 00:00:29

davidww1

Re: Shackles

All of this stuff is good quality gear. Wichard is benchmark quality (and the Harken shackles, if original, would have been made by Wichard for Harken) as is the Nicro Fico (now owned by Ronstan). Schaefer was used as C&C OEM equipment - it's really tough but heavy and of course the blocks are all solid-pin rather than ball-bearing; Schaefer gear gets tired, but I've never seen a broken piece. Merriman disappeared during the late seventies because they stuck to chrome-plated bronze (for defensible reasons) when the market wanted stainless steel, but their quality was never in question.

One cannot be definitive without seeing the pieces, but I would suggest that, short of picking up the boat, all of this gear is more than adequate to any use you might put it to.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2011-02-18 01:40:09

ALAN FORD

That's good news, thanks. I've finally tracked down the Nicro Fico details, I think mine are early editions of Ronstan Nicro RF 6130. They work well, the pins move freely, but the spring that holds the pins in place are fierce. A little rattail on the loop will save much loss of blood and nails. Their SWL and breaking numbers are impressive.
So my three Merriman snaps are bronze under their (still perfect)chrome-plated exteriors. They look and feel just great, they operate perfectly, all this considering they are 30-plus years old.  Is bronze as strong as stainless steel in this application, or close to it?
Another good day.

#4 2011-02-18 02:09:47

davidww1

Merriman's argument was that bronze is more ductile - I think that's the right word - anyway, less brittle than most of the stainless steel at that time, so it would deform before it failed, which might give you some warning that the fitting was overloaded. If they operate freely, they're well within their working tolerances.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer