C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-03-29 01:00:54

Kilroy

internal outhaul

In all the drawings they use a fiddle in the 4:1 or 5:1 harken. Can a double block be used instead.Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

#2 2011-03-29 12:13:13

carriden

Re: internal outhaul

Hey there Tim.  When I first got Carriden, I installed a 4:1 internal outhaul using double blocks and it was acceptable.  However, I was never happy with the amount of internal resistance arising out of the drag of 4 lengths of line inside the boom.  This resistance greatly increased the difficulty of adjusting and releasing the outhaul.  A couple of seasons ago, I bit the bullet and replaced my original internal outhaul with another setup that provided a 4:1 purchase using a cascading system with wire rope on single blocks.  This required careful measurements to ensure the maximum range of outhaul movement within the limited movement of the wire rope between the bottom of the gooseneck casting and the base of the mast.  The wire rope comes out of the  bottom of the boom end-casting at the gooseneck and is connected to a dacron line which goes through a block at the base of the mast and then back to the cockpit along the cabin-top, which allows for easy adjustment on any point of sail.

This new system functions much better and the internal resistance has been pretty much eliminated.  It is now easy to "dial in" a specific amount of outhaul tension and adjustment under load, which used to be virtually impossible, is now easy.  So, I heartily recommend using a cascading system with single blocks.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2011-03-29 23:16:52

davidww1

One of the outhauls shown in Black Arts is mine. One of the most annoying parts of arranging it was positioning the component blocks within the boom so they are less likely to foul themselves on the rivets and screws that inevitably protrude into the boom. I imagine that would be more difficult with double blocks because their width  makes them so much more likely to catch something within. The other caveat is that double-block tackles tend to twist if the ends aren't prevented from doing so (why double-braid should do this is a mystery to me, as unlike laid rope, it should have no twist to it - just the natural obduracy of the cosmos, perhaps?). That adds tremendous friction to the system. The virtue of the bullet-block system I adopted is that it's less likely to foul (I think) and there is less tendency for the lines to twist.

Over the years my system has for some reason gained friction so it no longer provides the finger-tip ease it had when new. I'm going to try to reduce that by replacing the internal 3/8" dacron line with a much finer diameter Spectra line, as these tend to run through blocks much more readily and there will be less material to drag against the internal walls. I hope this will ease operation.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2011-03-30 01:01:36

Jeff

If you could find one I would imagine that one of the Harken magic boxes would work well for your outhaul.  I'm not sure yet what's inside my boom outhaul wise, but there is a Barient 6 attached externally so hopefully it's just the block at the end of the boom and the exit.  Shouldn't even be too much longer before I finally get to sail it too.C&C 27 Mk I #4
presently unnamed
Port Stanley, On.

[If you have a Harken magic box in good condition, for heaven's sakes don't use it on your boat – sell it and use the proceeds to pay off your mortgage. Magic boxes are as rare as a used moral compass from the Harper gov't (available ones are all still in the original packaging) and correspondingly valuable. - Admin]

Last edited by (2011-03-30 04:32:55)

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#5 2011-03-30 01:20:02

Kilroy

Thank you for your comments. I am using a Garhauer double block which was purchased last year. (try to use what you have, it cuts the cost) I find that it fits nicely inside and will not spin over. The placement is important and I have found an area between rivots and screws that give me a 38" travel. That should be enough to ease the main out. If I stop being lazy, some day I will do my biography for this Association and also take pictures of this outhaul. Thanks Again and any other suggestions are welcome.
Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

#6 2011-04-01 11:15:31

dmartis

Marcus

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of your internal outhaul? I'm going to try and install one similar to the one Towser has posted on the website.  Any suggestions on how to improve on this?Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Board footer