C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-05-09 15:02:47

Brent

New window sealing idea

This morning I had an epiphany while I lay somewhere between awake and dreamland.
Last year I contacted my industrial adhesive distributer, the same folks who provided me with Plexus adhesive when I repaired the leaky windows on my Mk5. This time I needed some really good double sided tape to re-attach my handheld GPS mount to my bulkhead. He gave me the bitter end of a roll of the same stuff a bus manufacturer here in Winnipeg uses to glue the fiberglas panels of a busses skin together.
Let me tell you this tape is fringing amazing and once it is stuck to a substrate it DOES NOT COME OFF! It's a 3M heavy duty foam product about 1/8" thick with waterproof adhesives on either side.

The epiphany was this. If this tape is a suitable structural adhesive for a bus, would it work to structurally glue the windows of 1980's style C&C's to the cabin top. The foam is tough enough to not separate from the glue and I think would allow expansion and contraction. I'm going to contact him again to see how well it works on polycarbonate or acrylic and if the answer is good I'll try it out on my once again leaking starboard window.

Does this sound too good or too risky?

Brent Driedger
C&C 27 MkV
s/v Wild Rover
Lake Winnipeg (pre algae bloom)

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2011-05-10 00:27:59

davidww1

Re: New window sealing idea

Are the bus company's panels structural or cosmetic? C&C's glued  windows form part of the structure. I don't know how much load they assume, but that's how they were described by George Cuthbertson.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2011-05-10 03:12:02

clanning

3M VHB tapes are structural.  And they are like 5200 permanent, too.
[EDIT: 5200 can eat acrylic and other polymers.  The tape is better from this perspective.  We used tons of this stuff in the architectural metals trade -- in a past life.]

Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Last edited by (2011-05-10 06:31:42)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#4 2011-06-02 12:25:48

Brent

Just an update to what I had written earlier.

So I attempted to remove my old leaking starboard window and in the process broke it in 1/3. As a result I committed myself to replacement of both window which makes experimentation with structural tapes unappealing. The new acrylic cost me $400 from the local dealer (cut and beveled) which is quite a bit less than the $600 Northshore would have charged with shipping.
For the second time in the 3 years I've owned the boat I have the windows out.  The Plexus adhesive and gun are in my garage, now I'm ready for a do-over armed with knowledge I wish I had during the first attempt. Not enough glue and no spacers = leaks!
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#5 2011-06-03 05:55:36

ALAN FORD

Brent, windows that leak and need re-sealing or replacing seem to be a challenge that faces many ancient C&C boat owners, (it's the boats that are ancient, not their youthful owners) so perhaps you could tell us more once you have installed your new windows? What is the thickness of the new material? How much Plexus adhesive, as last time you say it was not sufficient to last more than 3 years. What are the 'spacers' you mention please? As our Admin tells us, the windows are structural, so all the details of your window renovation would help those of us who wait for the dreaded drips.
Thanks.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2011-07-15 08:39:33

surfj24

I recently purchased a 1985 mark v and the windows leaked really bad.  so I took them out (which was very easy because the previous owner used silicone)  I cleaned up the original adhesive and the  "band aid" silicone and used 5200 all around and then sunk 10 stainless screws with washers around each window, caulked again both the inside and outside.  It looks good and does not leak at all and I think I added structual integrity to it as well.

Joe
Wisconsin
K.I.S.S. (keep it simple,stupid)

I just purchased the Mark V Catrina out of Port Washington, WI.  I was a J24 sailor for 10yrs.  I did not race the boat except for the Queen's cup which is a overnight race accross Lake Michigan which I do solo.  The rest of the time is used it to cruise with.  I am now 44yrs. old and am tired of crouching down below.  It was time for me to find a boat that I could stand up in down below and have an inboard engine.  The Mark V hit the mark.  I just purchased in January and have not sailed it yet, but I'm sure I will be VERY pleased with it.  It's got everything I ever wanted without having to spend more money on a bigger slip.  All I need is a cradle or some jack stands.

#7 2011-08-14 15:37:14

Brent

5200 is a bad choice for plexi and polycarbonate. It slowly attacks the plastic and by next year you may find a lot of crazing around the windows edges. I can only imagine this weakens them. When replacement time comes you will be using a router to remove them.

Many have used screws on the windows and it will work provided you allow large enough holes to absorb the expansion of the windows from winter to sun beating over 100f in the summer. They could split.
Let us know in about a year how it's going. This will be an interesting progress report.

Brent Driedger
C&C 27 Mk 5
s/v Wild Rover
Lake Winnipeg

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#8 2011-08-14 22:11:35

surfj24

I have heard of a tape like that but I tend to overdo things so I can sleep at nite.  It sounds like a good and simple idea.  There will come a time when I will probably have to redo the windows again and at that time I will use that tape instead of the sloppy 5200, but I think the way I've got it, I'll either be in a new and bigger boat or the window would have to break.  Thanks for the info.  Let me know how to get a hold of the stuff because it sounds like it has many applications.

Thanks,
Joe
K.I.S.S.(keep it simple,stupid)
Hull #531
Milwaukee, WI.

I just purchased the Mark V Catrina out of Port Washington, WI.  I was a J24 sailor for 10yrs.  I did not race the boat except for the Queen's cup which is a overnight race accross Lake Michigan which I do solo.  The rest of the time is used it to cruise with.  I am now 44yrs. old and am tired of crouching down below.  It was time for me to find a boat that I could stand up in down below and have an inboard engine.  The Mark V hit the mark.  I just purchased in January and have not sailed it yet, but I'm sure I will be VERY pleased with it.  It's got everything I ever wanted without having to spend more money on a bigger slip.  All I need is a cradle or some jack stands.

#9 2011-08-15 03:25:50

sony2000

Mine came today as well. All four windows are OK except one drips from the top seal right onto the cushion. But never when I'm there nor when hosed to death. So from my comfortable cushion I leaned back and caulked the inside space with, you will never guess, 'Seal and Peel'. Who cares! It may work.

#10 2011-08-15 04:02:29

surfj24

That worries me about the caulk making the plexi deteriorate over time and also the expansion issue.  If I have a problem with detioration of the plexi, I may go to Lexon.  There is a company near me that does custom orders at a resonable price.  I installed the screws in the spring when it was too cold to do anything else.  I had the caulk in my Jeep with the heat blasting on it so I could use it when I was ready.  So, it's been exposed to at least 30 degrees so far and 100 degrees this summer.  So far so good.  I've done a lot of sailing in some pretty nasty weather on Lake Michigan where I've just gotten pounded and everything held up nice, however, over time that may change.  I'll keep an eye on it.  Thanks for all the great tips.  I love this forum.

Joe Kiehm
K.I.S.S.
Hull #531 1985 C & C Mark V
Glendale, WI.

#11 2011-08-15 06:16:23

ALAN FORD

Brent, in early June you were poised with Plexus adhesive and special gun, about to replace your Plexiglas windows. How did it go please, and how closely did you follow David's detailed instructions on this project in the Black Arts section?
Thanks.

Board footer