C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-04-11 12:16:30

sclaude

installing new fuel tank

Hi,

My old metal fuel tank is ready to be replaced.  I have a plastic one that I need to install on the starboard wooden stand in the starboard locker tucked against the sink.  I suppose a classic configuration for a C&C27 mark II.

The plastic tank comes wih 4 metal brackets for fixing the tank to the boat but there is no room behind. 

Any idea how to fix the tank? 

Thanks,

Stéphane, Sidney BC

#2 2011-04-12 01:36:35

Tonyj

Re: installing new fuel tank

Hi Stephane:
Consider cleats on the shelf to keep the tank from moving about.  Secondly, you have, or can construct a vertical support for the outboard (rear) side of the tank.  Then two angle brackets, going across the top and down the inboard side of the tank, and fastened to the rear support and the base should keep everything in place.
Or, perhaps a pair of heavy duty hose clamp type of straps would do the job.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske

#3 2011-06-16 07:15:06

J-P

Hi,
I'm about to do the same.
I should received my new plastic tank soon. A Moeller 12 gallon, 20''x14''x11.75''

I hope it will fit in.  I plan to put 2 ratchet strap around it.   

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTI128/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000MT94WY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H543XBEXMJM3EECZGA9

Do you think it will fit?

Thank you
J-P

Jean-Philippe Desormiers
C&C 27 Mark 2, 1973.
Lake Memphremagog, Quebec

#4 2011-06-19 01:37:04

davidww1

One of the trickiest issues in installing a new tank, I think, might be getting the tank through the hatch without pulling the engine. (I measured the opening once when it seemed that I would have to replace my tank, but the problem turned out not to be related to the tank.) If you take the teak surround off the lazarette opening, you could cut the fibreglass back quite a bit to enlarge the opening. Once the teak is replaced, you'd never know the cut was there.

I have no idea whether this tank would fit because I no longer have the measurements - sorry.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2011-06-19 10:12:20

carriden

I managed to remove and replace my tank without having to cut anything.  Once the hoses were off I could rotate the tank onto its side and it would then fit through the existing opening for the cockpit locker.  There was a certain amount of wiggling involved getting around the hose barbs on the top of the tank, but it really wasn't any problem.  I have one of the rectangular Mirax tanks in Carriden.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#6 2011-06-19 12:21:57

davidww1

I reckoned I could wiggle and I could waggle, but by my tape measure, the tank was still going to be a tad too large for the opening - but I confess I never actually put the issue to the test of removal.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-06-19 12:23:52)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer