C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-11-11 13:20:14

malurd

Mk I window dimensions

My wife and I just purchased a 1972 Mk I from the second owner that has had the boat since 1974.  Recently the owner replaced the windows installing them with silicone instead of the proper gasket material. Based on this type of repair, I am concerned that windows may not be cut to the correct dimensions.  Does anyone have a template for the windows or know of the proper dimensions that I can use to cut new windows to the original size?   

Also the directions that came with the gasket material (South Shore Yachts) do not have drawings or pictures to illustrate proper gasket installation.  Does anyone have pictures that show how to install the external rubber gasket?  I've looked in the "Black Arts" section and do not see pictures of how the gasket is installed.  Apologize if I may have overlooked anything that shows how to install the gaskets.  We are new to the site.
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Last edited by (2011-11-12 01:12:31)

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#2 2011-11-12 09:27:32

Jeff

Re: Mk I window dimensions

If I get a chance I'll take some measurements from my windows tomorrow.  Otherwise my next trip down to the boat will probably be Thursday.  Do you still have the original frames?  I would imagine that silicone was used because the previous owner couldn't find, or couldn't justify the cost of the factory gasket material.  I'm glad the previous owner of my boat re gasketed the windows about a year ago.  What hull # is yours?

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#3 2011-11-13 22:34:33

malurd

Thank you.  Not sure of our hull number yet.  We have the number from the metal tag mounted on the rear of the cockpit but not the one molded into the hull.  Next time we visit the boat, we'll check.

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#4 2011-11-14 09:40:07

Jeff

sorry didn't make it down yesterday, but should defiinately get down Thursday.  Do you just need length x height?

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#5 2011-11-14 11:37:30

malurd

Length and width would be good for buying the material to the rough size needed.  For cutting the windows, I'll probably need to have +- 1/32 along with the dimensions for the corner radius.  Was wondering if there were any prints still available or if anyone has windows or a template from a previous repair.  No rush.  I have all winter to work on this project.  Thank you.

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#6 2011-11-15 09:23:40

Jeff

Do you still have the aluminum frames?  If yes you could send them to wherever you go to get plexi/lexan and get them to cut to that size and drill the same screwholes.  Might cost a bit more $$$ but may be worth it.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#7 2011-11-17 08:20:52

Jeff

15x7 for the front and 33x8 for the rear windows should be a bit bigger than your original size so you can at least figure out what your new material will cost you.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#8 2011-11-17 13:01:19

malurd

Thank you very much Jeff.  This will get us started sourcing the material.  If there is anyone that has or knows of the original drawing dimensions, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#9 2011-11-18 11:09:49

Jeff

37x8 for the rear windows, misread my own writing.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#10 2011-11-22 11:38:52

chriswheat

Rick,
I replaced all 4 port lights in my 1972 MK 1 (hull #167)last year. It looks as though I didn't save any of the larger ones, but I do have one of the smaller ones (original by the looks of it) in my hand. I would be happy to trace it and send you the tracing if you are still in need. I will take this one when I visit her this weekend to check and see if the radius in the corner is the same as the larger ones (I think it is) and if so I can offer those dimensions. This one measures 4 11/16 x 12 5/8, so my boat must be a different model than Jeff's.
Chris
Chriswheat Second Wind

Chesapeake Bay MD

Chriswheat Second Wind
Chesapeake Bay MD

#11 2011-11-22 12:28:30

Jeff

Having mentioned that one of the interesting things I've noticed about my boat, being hull#4 and a "Hinterhoeller 27", is that there are differences from later Mk I's. Had not even thought that the windows could be different sizes.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#12 2011-11-29 11:18:12

chriswheat

I checked and the corner radius is the same for the portlights in the head and the saloon. I can offer a tracing & accurate dimensions if Rick still needs them.
Chriswheat Second Wind

Chesapeake Bay MD

Chriswheat Second Wind
Chesapeake Bay MD

#13 2011-11-29 11:25:54

malurd

Hello Chris and Clockwork,

Apologize for the delay in my response.  Looks like there may be different window sizes in these early C&Cs so I better take measurements on mine for approximate dimensions before I cut to the tracing.  We'll be visiting our boat in storage over the next few weeks so we can double check then.

Thanks again,
Rick 

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

Board footer