C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-07-19 23:50:06

Genoa tracks

When you guys installed the Genoa tracks to your boats, did you use the aluminum backing plate or did the epoxy plugs and fender washers suffice? Also, did you need to build up any type of mounting platform to mount the deck organisers/ I see that Spinlock has a type of organizer that can conform to a curved deck.

C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

Last edited by (2009-07-19 23:55:18)

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#2 2009-07-20 00:14:26

davidww1

Re: Genoa tracks

Towser uses epoxy plugs and fender washers as detailed on the page on genoa tracks. So does Legacy.

Towser's double Spinlock rope clutches are mounted on Starboard bases (a type of plastic board) whose undersides were shaped with a router to match the curve of the deck.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2009-07-20 00:18:26

I'm with you on the clutches but what about the organisers that route the lines from the turning blocks at the mast to the clutches?
C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#4 2009-07-20 00:54:14

davidww1

Sorry - reading quickly, thinking slowly. Epoxy plugs and fender washers, shaped Starboard underpinnings. The organizers are relatively low-load compared to the tracks since all they do is deflect the lines 30 degrees or so and the loads are in shear rather than in tension (is that the right terminology? - I think you said you're an engineer and you'd know all this far better than I).

The Spinlock items look nice, but the deck organizers then available were inflexible. People have always used wood for mounting blocks, and it's a lot simpler to work, but I wanted something that didn't require maintenance.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2009-07-20 01:09:09

Gotcha,

Yes the organizers have a horizontal sheer load on them in lieu of a tensioned load, which was my thinking also. You see, my girl is having a cow at the thought of trashing the headliner and I'm trying to alleviate that notion as much as possible. I lioke the Spinlock 4 sheeve organizers and i think I can make those work without a  mounting plate as the curve of the deck is not to great so as to not bind the sheeves.

Thank

C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

Last edited by (2009-07-20 01:09:33)

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#6 2009-07-20 01:48:13

davidww1

You don't need to trash the headliner. Each of my organizers requires four holes, each of which was cut with a small holesaw (and is therefore neat) and plugged with a standard plastic insert, whose colour so well matches that of the headliner that you barely notice it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2009-07-20 23:33:48

I have yet to be able to find those plugs for the headliner. Have you got a web site I can check out?
C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#8 2009-07-21 00:36:52

davidww1

Look here. Around Toronto, most marine stores stock them, but because they're such a low-margin item, you normally find them in a box stuck in a back corner; you have to ask for them. Also, most locations stock an ivory colour that effectively matches the C&C headliner.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#9 2009-07-21 01:19:43

Great, Thanks David.
C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#10 2009-07-26 09:00:18

How muchof a difference will your boat have with the inside tracks as appose to the lead blocks on the toerail?  I would imagine that  for pointing the preferred method is for the leads to be on the inside??  Tks,  Pendragon

#11 2009-07-26 10:09:15

What I want is to place 4foot tracks up under the window inside the shrouds for the #3 and 6 footers outside the shrouds for the #1 and #2. Reefing a Genny just doesn't get shape for crap on a furler. I want to be able to change sails and sheet to the optimum shape.
C&C 27 Mark III 1976

"Shifts and Giggles"

C&C 27 Mark III 1978
Hull#670
"Shifts and Giggles"

#12 2011-06-10 00:08:44

Marshall

I have finally taken the plunge and installed inboard tracks as per Towswer on my Mk III to keep up with the others on Wednesday nights.

One quick question: what type and diameter line works best as the control line?The Marshall's
Hotel California
Dryden Yacht Club

The Marshall's
Hotel California
Dryden Yacht Club

#13 2011-06-10 11:50:02

davidww1

1/4" or 5/16" fuzzy-cover dacron. Thinner line runs faster through the blocks.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#14 2011-11-07 11:34:10

whippet

Looks like i will have pleasure of doing the Genoa Track surgery this spring, and I like your approach described in "Black Arts."    With the test of time, are you pleased with durability (and waterproofing)?   Appears i already have access through bottom liner but holes can be bigger.   How much bigger you suggest to drill holes beyond diameter of hardware?

Thanks againSteve Still
TS&CC
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#15 2011-11-07 12:17:21

davidww1

I don't know how much bigger I made the holes; it was quite a while ago (8 years?). I made them "a bit" bigger, but when I tried fishing around to get balsa out, the space was too restrictive so I made them "a bit" bigger. Since I have a drill bit set that increments by 1/32", I'd guess that the first holes were 1/16" larger than the machine screws and I made them another 1/32" larger. But I may have gotten annoyed and gone up 1/16". I just don't remember. What I do remember is being concerned that I had a decent horizontal thickness between the epoxy and the balsa.

There was a leak through the deck in the first two weeks after I laid down the tracks so I pulled them both off and re-did them, again with 5200. Despite what I've said elsewhere about 5200, I have had no leaks through the deck and the surveyor hasn't found any dampness in the deck, so I may actually have gotten it right. I think the thin/thickened epoxy and syringe routine I described may have turned the trick for waterproofing the balsa and ensuring that the deck is hard enough that it doesn't progressively crush under load and create water-paths along the screws.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-11-08 00:25:49)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#16 2012-03-02 12:30:12

whippet

I am ready to embark on track repair as listed in Black Arts ala Towser.

Question is what is maximum radius to remove old balsa.   i cant say that moisture is limited to within an inch of hole.  should i keep digging wider and wider?  i assume some limit to how much area epoxy filler can be injected.
thanks
Steve Still
TS&CC
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Board footer