C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-04-11 11:25:11

malurd

Cutlass bearing set screws

Are there set screws retaining the cutlass bearing on a 1972 C&C 27?  Could not seem to locate them when I inspected the housing that supports the bearing. 
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#2 2012-04-11 23:25:03

sony2000

Re: Cutlass bearing set screws

My shipwright told me a few weeks ago there are two on the side of the housing that hold the brass housing inside, in place.

#3 2012-04-12 02:32:04

malurd

Thank you.  I'll have another look when I visit the boat again.  Hoping to remove the bearing with a custom press tool without removing the shaft.  Don't want to fight the set screws if they are really there.
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#4 2012-04-12 04:39:39

sony2000

A custom press tool, with the shaft still in place, is rare. I had not noticed mine, on a 7/8" shaft when, I spoke to the shipwright. You can get more experienced answers from the forum at Moyer Marine dot com., the Atomic 4 experts.

#5 2012-04-13 00:22:18

davidww1

We've been over this point time and again. The set screws are there but are covered in paint - count on it. Get a heat gun or paint stripper and clean the sides of the bracket.

As to pulling the shaft or not, pulling it gives you a chance to see how worn it is at the p-bracket and stern gland. Putting a new bearing on a badly worn shaft is throwing good money after bad. If the shaft is not too bad, a good prop shop can rebuild the metal and then machine it back to size. If it's too far gone, forget it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2012-04-14 06:23:43

sony2000

Rick did you find the set screws?

#7 2012-04-16 03:55:40

malurd

I had previously searched the forum and noticed on 10/22/2006 that Mr. Wooden had removed his bearing and confirmed no set screws were present.  That is the reason why I asked.  Perhaps there were some boats released without set screws.  I don't mean to ask questions that were already covered but in this case the question of set screw vs. no set screw remained unanswered and at least one boat had been produced without set screws.  The boat was checked again over the weekend and we still could not find set screws.  To be sure, I'll remove the shaft and cut the bearing for removal.  If our boat does not have them I can always run a tap to add new ones.  Thank you.
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#8 2012-04-16 05:05:17

sony2000

Presently I'm removing one without set screws from a 1972 C&C. Its out 1" now with a homemade puller. Another 1" tomorrow. I heard  yesterday of a way to hold a cutless bearing in place without set screws. If it slides in easily, use epoxy resin to hold it in place, and remove it with a torch.

#9 2012-04-17 02:10:54

malurd

Thank you sony2000. Nice to know there are other boats out there w/o set screws.  Idylln may be another one of them.  Thanks for tip on reinstalling w/o set screws.  Looks like your project is coming along.  Let me know how it goes and if you run into any snags. 
Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#10 2012-04-22 09:51:19

malurd

Removed the shaft and cutlass bearing over the weekend.  Confirmed our boat was delivered without set screws.  Inspected another one in the yard and it does not have any as well.  Appears several came without set screws. 

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I

Rick Ulam
Presque Isle, PA
1972 Mk I
Idylln

#11 2012-04-22 21:51:27

sony2000

My shipwright is ordering a 3 1/2" by 1 3/8" cutlas bearing, along with his order. I'll be the last to launch. My engine can't be installed until the back hoe can pull up along side me in the parking lot. In the meantime I'm sharpening the leading edges if the propeller, to cut weeds this summer.

#12 2012-04-29 00:06:47

carriden

Checked 8 different 27's in our yard yesterday, Marks II, III and IV.  Seven of them had visible set-screws, there were none visible on the 8th boat.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#13 2012-04-29 00:06:47

carriden

Checked 8 different 27's in our yard yesterday, Marks II, III and IV.  Seven of them had visible set-screws, there were none visible on the 8th boat.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,

#14 2012-04-30 02:00:40

foroadmin
Administrator

What was the mark of the eighth boat? The ones reported here both seem to be from '72 - a brief trial, then back to set screws. My own boat didn't appear to have set screws until I pulled the shaft and bearing. Then I realized that they were covered by layers of old paint and VC-Tar (and don't ask me why one would put an anti-osmosis compound on bronze).

- Admin

#15 2012-04-30 14:09:10

carriden

The boat with no visible set screws is an early Mk. III, and I believe it dates back to 1973.  This could also be a case of the set screws being covered over, as the shaft strut does not look as though it is even close to being down to the actual bronze.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,

Board footer