C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-05-03 09:41:47

ALAN FORD

Mooring cleats

SMOKE has a normal pair of mooring cleats and fairleads forward, but none aft at all. I have been using the  winch and/or the jamming cleat on the inner surface of the cockpit for stern lines, but would much prefer some proper cleats. Perhaps this is another of those prototype oddities, but I'd love to know what other Mk V owners do to attach their stern lines please.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#2 2012-05-03 09:48:10

davidww1

Re: Mooring cleats

It is preferable not to tie up to a winch if you can avoid it. I am told it's bad for the bearings.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2012-05-03 12:07:14

JWente

all the rest of us have a cleat at each corner of the stern
mounted parallel with the stern, inside the toe rail, thru bolted
I think Smoke would have room there
JIm

#4 2012-05-03 21:37:31

ALAN FORD

Thank you David and Jim. Until now I have berthed bow-in and had buoys on each quarter, so no sudden pressure on the winches. I've just moved to a finger berth with  rigid shore cleats, so David's point becomes urgent.
Jim, with the horns of your cleats in the athwartships direction do they come close to the eyes to which the split backstay is attached,? I uspect that they have some glassed-in plywood base hidden below them on which they are mounted. I'll have another good look at SMOKE's arrangements in that area, but I need to solve it soon. Perhaps I need to come to EYC for a quick look?

#5 2012-05-04 11:09:20

JWente

on Distant Thunder the flat piece at the stern overhangs the hull, so it is easy to thru bolt through the glass/ply and bolt stuff on.
I'll take a picture for you, or, drop by any time. Dock C12

#6 2012-05-04 11:09:20

JWente

on Distant Thunder the flat piece at the stern overhangs the hull, so it is easy to thru bolt through the glass/ply and bolt stuff on.
I'll take a picture for you, or, drop by any time. Dock C12

#7 2012-05-13 15:49:49

Brent

With an early model MkV (#15) I suffer from issues fixed in later models and the stern cleat location is one of them. They mounted the cleats to the outside of the cockpit combing right before the stern. This is ok except when I race down wind on occasion the spinnaker blocks mounted directly behind them can get jammed up and it takes a hammer to release it. This can get scary when you need to ease a spinnaker in a hurry and nothing moves! Moving the cleats to the aft aft like on later models is on my to do list.

Brent Driedger
C&C 27 MkV #15
s/v Wild Rover
Lake Winnipeg

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

Board footer