C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-11-14 04:00:36

ptvncnt

goose neck C&C 27

i was wondering if anyone can tell me what the eyelet is for on the bottom of the goose neck if for?

Peter Vincent
Kirkland, WA

#2 2012-11-14 09:48:45

Steve Reid

Re: goose neck C&C 27

What Mark of 27 do you have?
Can you sen a picture?

Steve Reid

#3 2012-11-15 03:31:09

davidww1

If you mean the single transverse hole in the bottom of the gooseneck fitting, it probably dates from the time when the mainsail luff was controlled by pulling the entire gooseneck fitting downward; there would have been a little Tuffnol block there. I mount a block there that slightly changes the lead angle of my outhaul line. I can't imagine any other use.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2012-11-15 03:56:15

ptvncnt

thanks david I think your right. Is there any need to sucure a line to that to prevent the goose neck from rising too far or is that what my boom vang is for.I only say this because it seems that my goose neck fitting in the mast is abutting the plastic cover that prevents the mainsul slugs from coming out of the mast..

Peter Vincent
Kirkland, WA

#5 2012-11-15 04:09:09

davidww1

Unless you have a very early boat on which a sliding gooseneck was the equivalent of the cunningham and halyard as your luff-tensioning tool, the gooseneck should be fixed, usually with a machine screw in the track above and below the gooseneck slide, if I remember aright. Of course, if you are still using the roller-boom to reef, you might want to keep the sliding gooseneck and just add a downhaul tackle below the boom, but I think you would be happier fixing the gooseneck position and adding a cunningham. I'm sorry, but I cannot tell you at what height to fix the boom because my boat is put away.

Anyone else out there have access to a mast so they can measure the distance between the slug cutout and the top of the gooseneck fitting?

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2012-11-15 10:20:47

ptvncnt

I did not mention that its a 1976 mark III. No roller fuller on the boom. I plan on installing a Cunningham. I think i will sucure the goose neck to a line so it can not raise too far, and will counter the pull from the main halyard. does anyone have a picture of the goose neck configuation??

peter

Peter Vincent
Kirkland, WA

#7 2012-11-30 05:30:49

davidww1

This only shows the underside of the boom, but is the best I can do for you. The hole at the bottom of the gooseneck slide is used for a block that re-leads the outhaul line. The white/pink/mauve line is the cunningham and leads from the mast base up to the cunningham eye and back down to the tack pin. Note the small block of alloy fastened by a screw tapped into the mast, under the gooseneck slide. Along with a similar bit above the slide, this keeps the gooseneck fitting in a fixed position. I can't imagine why this would have been changed.

gooseneck.jpg

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#8 2012-12-05 08:46:51

ptvncnt

thanks david you answered the question in your last sentence.I am missing the tapped screw above the goose neck. That why the owner before me had a line attached to the eye below goose neck to hold it down. I will have to fab a piece to go above the gooseneck. thanks again for taking the time to get me a picture.\\

peter

Peter Vincent
Kirkland, WA

Board footer