C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-04-10 11:14:10

stargazer

Propeller Shaft Removal Trouble MkV

So I figure while on dryland I'd replace the old and worn shaft packing and theshaft log

packing no big deal, but what the headache the shaft log has been

I cannot for the life of me get the shaft to slip free of the trans flange

I've tried many things to no avail

1986 MkV

anyone have a home run idea?

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Newport Yacht Club

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#2 2013-04-11 03:42:20

chriswheat

Re: Propeller Shaft Removal Trouble MkV

Lawrence,
I assume you mean that you can't get the rear flange disconnected from the prop shaft. I'm not sure how the MkV is built, but the following explains how I performed this procedure on my MKI. After separating the rear flange (on the shaft) from the front flange (on the transmission)and removing any set screws securing the flange to the shaft, place a socket which is slightly smaller than the shaft diameter against the end of the shaft and using long bolts draw the 2 flanges together again. This will essentially press the shaft out of the flange. You may need to repeat the process with more/longer sockets and longer bolts until the flange falls off the shaft. Hope this helps.
Chris
Chriswheat Second Wind

Chesapeake Bay MD

Chriswheat Second Wind
Chesapeake Bay MD

#3 2013-04-11 08:49:13

stargazer

Chris,

thanks for the reply

been down that road and many others

i've left it to soak in penetrant for a couple of days and will get back at with with longer bolts a a better array of spacers

I've also dug up my heat gun, hopefully with all these in my arsenal, I'll beat the curse of the prop shaft flange
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Newport Yacht Club

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#4 2013-04-13 08:03:35

stargazer

got it out

phew!

bugger

now if I could only find a supplier with the correct stuffing box hose

its a joke that the vast majority of marine outfitters don't carry the correct article

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Newport Yacht Club

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Board footer