C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-05-05 11:45:14

sociopath

Rebuilding 1GM10

Hi All.. My 1GM10 is out and on the shop floor.. little or no compression.. Easiest thing to do is to drop it off at my local yanmar dealer and take my lumps.. But there must be another way, a cheaper way.. Any canucks do their own rebuild.. I understand that Yanmar parts are much more expensive in Canada.. Any advice or suggestions would be great.. 
Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown, PEI
Charlottetown Yacht Club
C&C 27 Mark V - Sociopath
kmarsh@upei.ca

Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

#2 2013-05-05 12:25:17

davidww1

Re: Rebuilding 1GM10

The head mechanic at the club recently told me that the problem with the current generation of lightweight diesels is that they are like Bic lighters - difficult to rebuild economically, particularly if you place any value on your own time.

The other issue is parts availability (forget cost - ridiculous). The cycle of availability of even engines that should be long-service, such as Volvo marine engines, has been dramatically shortened. An engine in a club boat, installed 2005, has been end-of-lifed, so a parts search spanned the world. Make sure you can get what you might need, at a price you deem reasonable, before you commit.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2013-05-06 00:05:35

clanning

My bro pulled a mid-80s Mitsubishi out of his boat last year and replaced with a new one (both from Vetus Marine).  He was on the fence about having the old one rebuilt (by a diesel shop in Kingston -- he's in Belleville) but in the end the new engine made more sense (sailing season is short!).  (The old one may still be for sale if you're interested -- I think I posted it here last year or so, not that you want another engine in need of a rebuild.)  Boat show specials are the way to go.  Come spring it's high season, and you may not see an engine for a few months...
Cheers
Chuck Lanning
NSC, Ottawa

Last edited by (2013-05-06 00:06:06)

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#4 2013-05-06 03:40:14

sony2000

Since this maybe its first rebuild, you may get away with a top overhaul(bad valves). The bottom overhaul is way more expensive, and rings wouldn't stop working just like that. You've probably burned a valve or two.

#5 2013-05-06 09:15:31

sociopath

Torresen marine have a 1GM10 rebuild kit for $540.00.. They don't ship to Canada, but I can have it shipped to a friend in Maine and have him relay it me.. I have access to a cheap diesel mechanic ($30.00/hour).. I have not priced these parts in Canada, but I'm guessing that they're much more expensive..

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/?p=multi&ident=308270&spnum=1GM10REBUILD&name=1GM10%20Common%20Rebuild%20List&image=yl.gif&multi=3
Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown, PEI
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

#6 2013-05-06 13:17:11

sony2000

It is not a total rebuild. Piston, but no crankshaft bushings. No crankshaft bearings. It changes rings and valves basically for over $540. I'm a transportation expert of sorts. Air and road, but I would never go that far in replacing parts.
You could get away very well with two valves seated by hand, check the valve guides for slap, and a new head gasket. Clean off excess carbon and douse the rings with carbon cleaner.
From Canada (Winnipeg) there is an on line boat engine parts dealer. Google that sentence, or order from Torrenson.
Or you overheated it and only need a head gasket.
Scott, being Scottish

Last edited by (2013-05-06 13:18:30)

#7 2013-05-07 21:05:33

sociopath

I'm going to crack it open today.. I'll know in a couple of hours the extent of the required rebuild.. Fingers crossed for top end rebuild only..
Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

#8 2013-05-13 06:10:09

sociopath

Hey Scott.. good call.. head gasket and 1 bad valve. 
Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

#9 2013-05-14 00:11:17

sony2000

Great news Kerry. Higher pressures will result, so I suggest adding "Seafoam" to all future oil changes to clean up the lower end, especially the rings. Some in the diesel fuel will clean out the injector pump as well.
Happy sailing for ALL of this summer.
Scott

#10 2013-07-15 21:21:41

sociopath

Hey Scott.. added some Seafoam to oil and fuel.. On Saturday,  motored for 45 min or so at 2700 to 3000 rpm, engine seemed to run good.. Last night, looked at the engine and found it covered in black dust (unburnt fuel).. Does this suggest I have a clogged or restricted exhaust elbow? Hole in the exhaust hose? Any other explanation? 
Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

Kerry Marsh
Charlottetown Yacht Club
kmarsh@upei.ca

#11 2013-07-15 22:13:07

sony2000

Yes I noticed the exhaust carbon is flaky, and prevents caking up. Shows its working.
You have the exhaust gases on the exterior of the engine block. Must be a poor exhaust manifold to engine connection. Gasket! Maybe you could use two, retorque the bolts, or a thin layer of muffler cement on the surfaces of the gasket. Reface flatter the exhaust bracket. Hole in the exhaust hose very likely.
If you are at recommended strength in the crankcase, one school believes to run the engine for a max of 5 hours, then change the oil.
Always in the fuel, does a lot of good.
Scott

Board footer