C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-10-12 08:50:21

PeterC

Prop shaft length for Mk2

I'm planning to put an electric motor in my Mk2. The current Atomic 4 is long dead and some previous owner cut the end of prop shaft. To save on boatyard costs I am hoping to have all the necessary bits assembled before lifting the boat out. I figure I'll need a shaft about 2" longer than the current, measured from inside the boat. But, without taking the boat to the yard and taking the old shaft out and measuring, I don't know what actual new length I'll need. If I knew the original length of the old, I could calculate from there. Anybody have any ideas?

Peter
  Santa Cruz.
Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Last edited by (2013-10-12 09:09:40)

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#2 2013-10-13 02:14:09

sony2000

Re: Prop shaft length for Mk2

Peter C, congratulations for the conversion. Ha Ha. I'm doing the same myself. Could I access you for design consultations?
That being said, I'm working with 3" of shaft before the stuffing box. As long as your prop is not rubbing up against its support, you can go ahead.

#3 2013-10-14 07:08:40

PeterC

Hi Sony2000,
      3" to the stuffing box is about the same as with the Atomic 4. It shows one and a half inches between the gearbox coupling and the stuffing box. So the same lenght shaft will probably do.... But what length is it??

Peter
Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#4 2013-10-14 21:50:59

sony2000

Peter, I can't help you on the length of shaft since I don't have a C&C27. Mine is a C&C 29 Mk0, known as a Paceship 29. After designing this boat they opened up their own works.
Why is the length important? A QD bushing needs only 1 1/2" of shaft length to be attached. Onto it you bolt a sheave of 5-6". I guess with 2" more of shaft the sheave will be higher off the hull and further from the dripping water.

#5 2013-10-14 21:51:01

sony2000

Peter, I can't help you on the length of shaft since I don't have a C&C27. Mine is a C&C 29 Mk0, known as a Paceship 29. After designing this boat they opened up their own works.
Why is the length important? A QD bushing needs only 1 1/2" of shaft length to be attached. Onto it you bolt a sheave of 5-6". I guess with 2" more of shaft the sheave will be higher off the hull and further from the dripping water.

Last edited by (2013-10-14 21:52:02)

#6 2013-10-19 03:31:26

davidww1

The shaft from a Mk IV is probably the same length as that for a Mark II because C&C lengthened the boat by adding onto the length of the cockpit at the stern, changing little else. That shaft is 35 3/4" overall and 32" from the engine end to the beginning of the taper.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2013-10-19 08:30:10

PeterC

Thank you David. I have decided to also replace the P'bracket bearing. The supplier wants to know the bearing OD dimention, and the strut ID dimention. Would you by any lucky chance know what these might be??

Peter
Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#8 2013-10-19 08:40:03

davidww1

Not off the top of my head. I might be able to find out when boats start coming out of the water over the next few weeks, but the measurement will be from a bearing-in-place; I haven't heard of any owners planning to replace the cutless bearing (but it's not something many people discuss).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#9 2013-10-19 08:43:44

PeterC

If you could I'd sure appreciate it.

Peter
Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#10 2013-10-27 09:00:48

davidww1

Measured with calipers, but with the cutless bearing in place, the opening in the p-bracket of a Mk I (and I have no reason to believe there was any change between marks) came out as 1.223 in. in diameter and 3.518 in long. Keep in mind that this was with the bearing in place, so measurement was half-visual, half jamming the caliber's points into the opening. In other words, the precision of the number may be spurious. Talk to a supplier and see if that value makes sense for a 7/8 shaft.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#11 2013-10-28 04:11:58

PeterC

Thank you David.....
Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

Peter Connolly
Santa Cruz, Ca.
C&C 27 Mk 2

#12 2013-10-28 04:43:15

davidww1

Thank me if those measurements do any good. If it does work out, let us know what the make and model number / size value should be.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer