C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-06-30 01:37:40

davidww1

Water in the fuel tank

This has now happened twice, to two different boats, so it's time to flag the issue.

Some years ago, Kat's Paw found itself becalmed on the far side of Humber Bay, engine kaput. Fortunately another competitor towed her back to the club. The mechanics found around 12 liters of water in the 55-liter tank. The theory was that, when racing rail-down, the tank vent had siphoned masses of water back into the tank. The original vent was blocked and a new one installed on the transom.

I thought this was an isolated incident but I recently had the dubious pleasure of pumping the fuel out of my tank and replacing the Racor filter cartridge. About half of the fuel pumped out looked like emulsified oil, so clearly there was a lot of water in the tank. Vent to be moved toot sweet.

Your mileage may vary, as they say, but if you're in the habit of sailing rail-down as we are (Toronto harbour can be quite gusty), this inexpensive precaution might be in order.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#2 2014-07-14 06:50:17

whippet

Re: Water in the fuel tank

excellent advice, David.   I've had a few water in gas episodes, and that could be a cause.    Takes a pretty long hose to get back to the transom, no?   Located pretty close to deck joint? 
Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#3 2014-07-14 13:32:07

Jeff

Interesting. I'm curious if the vent on the transom was hooked to the fuel tank when the A4 was in it. There's nothing hooked to it now. Presently the tank is vented out just under the rail above the tank.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#4 2014-07-15 00:36:05

davidww1

As built, neither boat had a tank vent on the transom. Kat's Paw (with A4) had the original vent below the toe rail adjacent the tank, as Towser does now. After the water problem manifested itself, KP's vent was moved to the stern, as Towser's will be.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2014-07-15 00:36:43)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2014-07-15 23:58:40

Jeff

Sorry, I was referring to the vent on my transom that is not presently hooked to anything.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

Board footer